IGNORED

New Mark's exhaust collecor arrived today

What kind/type of exhaust clamps did you use on the two rear cylinders? Did you use the OEM clamps? I tried the OEM clamps on the rear cylinders but they have a much larger ID than what is really needed. Regular automotive exhaust clamps are just too bulky to fit in the confined space they must, so they are out as well. I have installed this Marks collector several times (on, off, on, off, on off) in the last three days and just quite seem to do so without an exhaust leak from one of the rear cylinders cause I just can't clamp those two cylinders down sufficiently. The usual OEM clamps don't work on the front two pipes either because their ID is also larger than the ID of the marks front pipes. Currently it is "not installed" but I am willing to try anything. Just need some guidance.

I have had the Mark's Collector on my bike for about a year and absolutely love it. The sound alone is worth the cost :cool10:

Mine too needed collector repairs.

By the way ... a new one from Yamaha is $200 more than Marks, not $100.

I had a local muffler wholesaler make me two new collector stubs from stock pipe which were then welded on.

While I was at it I opened up the bottom intending to remove the baffle that was rattling like crazy, except it wasn't, it was firmly attached so it was welded closed with the baffle still where Yamaha put it.

The rattle was coming from the front right downpipe. The inner pipe had completely sheared from the outer.

I paid $25 for the welding and $20 for the downpipe. The gaskets cost more!!

• 4 weeks later...

A few pictures of what I McGyver'ed up to install collector.

Based upon Masterguns experience with his Mark's collector, I decided to go a little overboard to not have the issues he had.

First few pictures show a cheap replacement collector gaskets for the front & rear headers that worked out well. I used a 1 1/4" copper pipe coupler & some 1 1/4" copper pipe for the gaskets. I cut coupler in half on a carbide blade saw. Cut a matching length of pipe. Soldered the two together on one end, just so the wouldn't separate. This was a close fit for the ID of the marks collector tubes & the OD of the 4 header tubes.

To make sure it sealed the 1st time, I used a high temp RTV sealant. This stuff is good to about 700 deg F. Coated inside & outside of copper bushing and put it together. Actually was easier to mount the Mark's than it has been to mount the stock collector due to some machine work on the block.

Also used RTV on mufflers, but I didn't replace those gaskets. I need to clean up some of the excess RTV yet.

No leaks. And it defiantly has a different sound to it.

Gary

First few pictures show a cheap replacement collector gaskets for the front & rear headers that worked out well. I used a 1 1/4" copper pipe coupler & some 1 1/4" copper pipe for the gaskets.

That's pretty much exactly what I did, and I thought I had made a post to that effect somewhere in this thread but it may have been in a different thread since I don't see that I contributed to this one yet. Total cost of copper: $9 No detectable leaks. I didn't use the hightemp RTV though- just metal to metal.

That's pretty much exactly what I did, and I thought I had made a post to that effect somewhere in this thread but it may have been in a different thread since I don't see that I contributed to this one yet. Total cost of copper: $9 No detectable leaks. I didn't use the hightemp RTV though- just metal to metal.

I might have been you that aimed me at the copper pipe as suitable gaskets a few weeks ago in the chat room one night.

Gary

I might have been you that aimed me at the copper pipe as suitable gaskets a few weeks ago in the chat room one night.

Gary

That's a good possibility. Glad it worked out for both of us. I picked that tip up from somebody else on this forum... it was back a considerable ways and I don't recall exactly where but it seemed a good idea.

Here is a video of Marks collector and no mufflers.

Blue smoke has been a minor annoyance since the VMax heads went on, I think it may be valve guides.

I was hitting about 6,000 RPM's, bike was at operating temp.

I can't get video to link right, but this should work.

Gary

[ame=http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/?action=view&current=IMG_1473.mp4]IMG_1473.mp4 video by gdingy101 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1007.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf193%2Fgdingy101%2FIMG_1473.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1007.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf193%2Fgdingy101%2FIMG_1473.mp4[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...