IGNORED

Darksiders: For the doubters

twigg

If there remains any lingering doubts about fitting a car tyre to a motorcycle, then this may help.

While I accept that it isn't definitive, in any way, it certainly is more useful than idle speculation and prejudice.

In any event, it's a terrific video and only just over 2 minutes:

Edit: Both the bikes in the video are fitted with car tyres ... Lean angles seem to be decently manageable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNqKOhX1r4&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Goldwings at Laguna Seca - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by twigg

I tried a car tire. On mine it made the bike unpredictable. A couple of others had the same experience. I pulled it the first time it went into a wobble. Wasn't a tank slapper was a weird wobble at about 70 in a slow turn. I'll just stick to motorcycle tires on motorcycles and car tires on cars and airplane tires on airplanes and tractor tires on tractors and :whistling::rotf:

A "slow turn" at 70? :D

I guess various tyre and bike combos are better or worse than others.

Tyre pressure is critical, and that, I understand, can take some working out.

I just wish I could find a CT that would fit my '86

Its wierd how some have bad experiences snd others swear by it. If you measure the contact patch of a car tire abd aMC tire in a bike.They are very similar.

With our not sio aggressive lean angles, we will never ride thr side wall.I guess the wobble that can be felt is from a softer sidewall collapsing under pressure with incorrect tire pressure.

I think I'm gonna try it soon as I can find an inexpensive candidate

I am one that has been on the fence regarding the C/T on my bike...this video kind of disturbed me. I appreciate the lean angle the rider was able to obtain...BUT...it sure seems to me that he was fighting it all the way...like he was looking for the best "feel" in the lean, causing him to kind of oscillate between more and less lean.

I grant you that the rider may be the reason, but I would sure like to see the same rider on the same bike, but with a motorcycle tire...just to be able to compare.

Now, at this point (after viewing the video), I am leaning toward my previous attitude (as presented in this thread by BuddyRich)...m/c tires on motorcycles, c/t on cars...etc.

:confused24: :think: :o

I am one that has been on the fence regarding the C/T on my bike...this video kind of disturbed me. I appreciate the lean angle the rider was able to obtain...BUT...it sure seems to me that he was fighting it all the way...like he was looking for the best "feel" in the lean, causing him to kind of oscillate between more and less lean.

I grant you that the rider may be the reason, but I would sure like to see the same rider on the same bike, but with a motorcycle tire...just to be able to compare.

Now, at this point (after viewing the video), I am leaning toward my previous attitude (as presented in this thread by BuddyRich)...m/c tires on motorcycles, c/t on cars...etc.

:confused24: :think: :o

er ....

That was Laguna Seca ... Those guys were flat out and scraping the panniers.

Of course they were looking for the "feel".

er ....

That was Laguna Seca ... Those guys were flat out and scraping the panniers.

Of course they were looking for the "feel".

That's is actually my point...I admit that I don't ride nearly as aggressive as those in the video...but, especially in a turn, I don't want to be "looking for the feel" I want to feel the confidence of what is under me.

Please don't take offense...I am merely stating where I am on this issue...I have talked with several good friends who ride on the c/t...I just cannot seem to convince myself that it is for me. Until that time I will continue to ride m/c tires. Different strokes...and all that!

That's is actually my point...I admit that I don't ride nearly as aggressive as those in the video...but, especially in a turn, I don't want to be "looking for the feel" I want to feel the confidence of what is under me.

Please don't take offense...I am merely stating where I am on this issue...I have talked with several good friends who ride on the c/t...I just cannot seem to convince myself that it is for me. Until that time I will continue to ride m/c tires. Different strokes...and all that!

The comparison is unfair.

Go find some video of Moto-GP at the same track and see just how much those bikes squirm around when ridden flat-out .... and they are on the finest motorcycle tyres money can buy.

Ride a GP bike on the road and it would feel as planted as an oak tree ... If you could ride it slow enough :)

The comparison is unfair.

Go find some video of Moto-GP at the same track and see just how much those bikes squirm around when ridden flat-out .... and they are on the finest motorcycle tyres money can buy.

Ride a GP bike on the road and it would feel as planted as an oak tree ... If you could ride it slow enough :)

That is a fair idea...I will do so...just want something to compare it to.

Like I said, I have some very good friends that use the c/t...one of them tried it, didn't like it...then later tried it again, playing with tire pressures...and loves it! I know I come across as wishy-washy on this...and I admit that I am all over the place on it...eventually I will try it...then I will know for myself. Thanks for the dialogue...I am learning!:thumbsup2:

I will not try and talk anyone into a CT and yes I run one and will not go back to a MC tire onthe GOLDWING. The lead guy in the video isn't that good of a rider, on a Wing there isn't any sense in using the body English he is putting out. While I am a mediocre rider not many will stay with me IF DEBBY ISN'T ON THE BIKE. I've ran the CT IN pouring rain never letting up for curves and it sticks like glue PLUS has a 1201 lb rating for my fat a$$. My advise is DO NOT RUN A CT IF YOU ARE GOING TO CONSTANTLY BE THINKING OF IT ON THERE. That was my mistake at first, now catch me IF you can.

What is the purpose of running a car tire? I never really understood the reasons.

For me 1201 weight rating as most GW rear tires only have an 827lb rating. Also I like the run flat aspect of it. I let the air out of it and while I did notice a difference it was a good feeling knowing I could ride on to a tire repair place if I had to.

What is the purpose of running a car tire? I never really understood the reasons.

1. Prodigious amounts of grip

2. Massively improved water clearance

3. Frequently cheaper

4. 40 to 50 thousands miles from a tyre.

People worry about putting things on their bikes not approved by the manufacturers.

Go take a look at your bike, from oil to brakes shoes, we all use things not approved. Folk seem happy to recommend synthetic oils, but baulk at car tyres and the reasons they give are not born out by the thousands of riders who have done this, over millions of miles.

If you don't want to do it, fine. If you try telling folk it isn't safe to do it ... then you would simply be ignorant (not YOU, any you) :)

If your tires depressurizes at say 75 mph, and, you have ABS saddle bags on each side, and, abslolutely no side walls to speak of ... how do you think that is going to turn out?

Just wondering..

about those that don't have run flats...

That is extremely rare. Most deflations are at a much slower rate, explosive deflation happens rarely, and can usually be traced to a fault.

If a tyre fails that rapidly, at high speed, then I doubt your run-flat would save you.

The main issue with run-flats is the increased unsprung weight slowing down the steering response.

But we really don't much ride at speeds where that is a major concern .... we are talking heavy tourers and cruisers here, not race bikes.

Maybe it is my old eyes. But, I have watched the video three times now and it sure looks like the lead rider is getting a bit of a squiggle in the rear end as he/she is coming out of some of the corners.

Anyone elese notice it????

:15_8_211[1]:

Yep I noticed the wag I don't know if it was caused by the ct the rider or the tupperware not being able to corner.:stirthepot: