IGNORED

what will it take, bike rinning with no airbox?

Got a busted 87 that I am gonna turn into a chopper. What will it take to have the bike run well with no airbox at all? The mods to the frame are not going to allow for the airbox to be used.

Four Pod filters (K&N) or similar, and a dyno session to get the jetting right.

It will still never run as smoothly as stock, but it will run well enough to be fine. This is because the airbox is not simply a box to hold the filter, it affects the airflow too.

You won't be too bothered by that and the pods and jetting (whiich may involve a larger main, check that first) shouldn't be too hard to work out.

http://www.kloppenberg.us/chopper.html

this guy say what he did works. scroll down throught he pics.

David

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/baron-custom-accessories-big-air-carb-kit-royal-star/part/BA-2000-00

this is for a royal star but something like this might work.............Ive seen pics but can find them where someone installed something similar on a 1st gen.

Edited by painterman67

Got a busted 87 that I am gonna turn into a chopper. What will it take to have the bike run well with no airbox at all? The mods to the frame are not going to allow for the airbox to be used.

The jetting is way too lean with the airbox removed. You might be able to put spacers on the main jets and get enough fuel . . . I would give it a try. What have you got to lose?

:fingers-crossed-emo

The jetting is way too lean with the airbox removed. You might be able to put spacers on the main jets and get enough fuel . . . I would give it a try. What have you got to lose?

:fingers-crossed-emo

"spacers on the main jets"...say what? I think you mean spacers on the main jet needles...Also the pilot screws will need to be turned out quite a bit...total 3 to 4 ccw