Getting ready to do maintenance on forks and steering head on my 2005 R S Deluxe. any shortcuts for fork removal? Seems a little crazy! I'm used to pinch bolts and down goes the forks. While it's apart contemplating accessory lighting, BIG on function over cosmetics. ALSO Valve adjustment time any Advice/Shortcuts? My R S has 15,000 miles and is 7 years old, put 4000 miles on last year. Last Spring I did shaft drive maintenance and Bled original fluids till clear from clutch and brakes. Flushed coolant and replaced thermo. Any other suggestions while she'sapart? Many Thanks

You shouldn't need to worry about valve adjustment until 26,000 miles.

If you just want to do it because you'll be going thru everything, then contact me when you get close to the time and I'll send you a shim kit with tool, or buy a new set of gaskets from sky_doc and he'll loan you his kit.

if the bike will be off the road while you work on it, get a good set of metric feeler gauges that can measure in 0.01mm increments from 0.10mm up to 0.30mm, pull the valve covers,and measure the clearances per threads in tech section or in the maintenance manual. If the clearances are within spec, you don't need to worry about having a tool or spare shims and can put it back together for another 26,000 miles. :080402gudl_prv:

Edited by RandyR