The choke on my 84 works. The bike starts & runs ok BUT the control won't stay on choke. I have to manually hold the contol towards choke until the bike warms up. The previous owner had a tiny bungee on it, but again my neurosis can't accept the bungee there.

Is there any way to fix or adjust the twist choke control?

It seems to be unique... this year has the choke in a rotary ring on the grip where earlier and later models have the mechanism below the switch housing in a left-right thumb lever. I haven't chased the 84 mechanism inside but it is troublesome to many... some have swapped out for the different grip cluster and it seems to cure the situation. Maybe the 84 has an internal return spring at the grip?

If you decide to get in there, remember that we rarely deal with these cables, so while it's available, shoot some specific cable lube down that sheath... it's amazing what a difference there is... 20+ years of use and no lube... things get stiff.

If you decide to get in there, remember that we rarely deal with these cables, so while it's available, shoot some specific cable lube down that sheath... it's amazing what a difference there is... 20+ years of use and no lube... things get stiff.

Lithium grease...cables best friend!

On my '84 it was a tough start with the choke and had to hold it in place like yours. I was cleaning cables an stripped down the choke control and cleaned it also. Once I got everything cleaned up and lubed it was a different animal.

In the coldest weather I would push it to full choke on the first couple cranks and then let it spring back. It would hit the midway detent and stay there. That would set the idle for about 2,000 rpm. Once it was running smooth I'd flip it back off.

Once you get cleaned up it should be smooth and you should feel the detent hit nicely at the midpoint. Never knew it had a detent until I cleaned it.

Mike