IGNORED

Campground Caretakers - semi-retired

SilvrT

This is a little premature but have been thinking about this for a while so, figgured I'd throw it out here and see what kinda responses ya'll might come back with.

When we retire (2-3 yr from now), unless we win a lotto, we will have to continue working, at least part time. We're thinking about wintering south of the border somewhere like Texas or Southern CA, etc ... returning to Canada for the summer. With our limited pension we figgure we could accomplish this by doing seasonal campground caretaking work which usually provides free camping and a small wage.

No idea at this time if that is even possible or where to start looking for possible opportunities. Also open to other ideas, keeping in mind our limited budget and needs. We want to travel on the scoot with our tent trailer in tow and will probably live in it for the most part unless there is a better offering. Don't know how long we'd be able to do this...time will tell.

Looking for your comments / suggestions / ideas ...

On the other hand, if anyone wants to offer us a free place to stay..... :smile5: :cool10:

Most of the major camping magazines used to have adds for part time help for retirees. My wife and I used to manage a Jellystone park in Waller Tx and we had couples that were regulars at different times of the year that would work part time for their site and salary. We will be doing the same thing in a few years.

:080402gudl_prv:

You're going to have issues working in the states unless you're a us citizen also. My 1st ex lives in Birmingham ab and hasn't been able to take a job in the 8 yrs she has been there.

Ya, that sukz but maybe we'll just work here in the summer and laze around somewhere in the states during the winter.

Maybe by then things will have changed....but I doubt it.

Two other thoughts for you:

1. Check with the Self Storage Association regarding opportunities and referrals for storage caretaker positions. Member storage companies are always looking for responsible, retired or semi-retired couples to be on-site managers of their facilities. Free housing, incentive pay and benefits are generally included, with liberal time off. Here's the link:

http://www.selfstorage.org/SSA/Home/AM/ContentManagerNet/HomePages/SSA_1504_20080508T110359HomePage.aspx?Section=Home

2. If travel is more your inclination, start making contact with some of the larger RV manufacturers about becoming class A motorhome delivery drivers. Some training is required, but as far as I know, a CDL is not. Their contract drivers will drive or fly to the pick up point, drive the motorhome to the drop point, then drive or fly back to the factory or to the next pick up point. I already made some inquiries with Winnebago and Holiday Rambler about this, and while they are currently not hiring, they are looking for folks to put on their list of potential drivers. I will be retiring in a few years myself, and this would be my first choice of options. I have no idea about pay or benefits, but it sure would fit the bill as far as my preference to travel vs. an office job or being a Wal-Mart greeter!

All the best in your search.