IGNORED

Vance and Hines Monster Oval slip on exhaust

Just bought an 05 Venture 2 weeks ago and its too quiet. I bought a set of Monster Ovals that fit Harley touring bikes. I have been doing alot of reading up on this procedure. I bought the 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 chrome clamps that everyone uses to get the slip ons to mount to the stock head pipe. My problem is that once I put the clamp where it is supposed to be there is about 1 1/2 inch of head pipe showing between the stock heat shield and the new clamp. I can slide the clamp all the way to the heat shield and cover this gap but then the slip on wont fit over the stock header pipe because its too long. Anyone else run into this before?

Look inside the muffler and see if there is something restricting it from sliding all the way. I've heard of this before with other pipes having a little "lip" inside. Other thing is they might need to be "expanded" a bit with a pipe expander.

Other than that, they should fit much the same as the RK slip-ons I would think.

Nothing inside or on the headpipe. It must need to be spread open then. I was not sure if these were able to slip over the head pipe because they were made for a Harley. My concern is if its not slid on the headpipe far enough I am going to have issues with the rear mount lining up. I have not found a rear mount yet just have the pipes hanging with zip ties so they dont touch the garage floor.

Doug,

Could be if the slip ons are used instead of new , they were clamped onto pipes previously and maybe the inner diameter is closed up a bit from that, would not be all that noticable. If that is the case the expander idea would work, any decent muffler shop should have one.

On the brackets see below for a copy past I saved from a few month ago, this should work.

I am only a few hours away, let me know if it would help for me to come down on the weekend and take a look.

Krome Werks will sell the brackets that are used to mount their mufflers to the Venture / RSTD. Their mufflers were designed originally for the Road King so they should be a perfect fit for your pipes and bike.

Below is the email I received form Krome Werks

you will need:

1 each 680855, bracket left

1 each 680856, bracket right

2 each 2099801, nut plate

680855 $10.00

680856 $10.00

2099801 $3.00

Prices are less shipping (UPS ground is standard.) We accept Visa, MasterCard or Discover. To order, call Monday through Thursday 9-6 central.

Customer Service

Khrome Werks

div. D.S. Manufacturing, Inc.

Ph. 952-758-9523 Monday through Thursday, 9-6 central

www.khromewerks.com

Doug,

Could be if the slip ons are used instead of new , they were clamped onto pipes previously and maybe the inner diameter is closed up a bit from that, would not be all that noticable. If that is the case the expander idea would work, any decent muffler shop should have one.

On the brackets see below for a copy past I saved from a few month ago, this should work.

I am only a few hours away, let me know if it would help for me to come down on the weekend and take a look.

Krome Werks will sell the brackets that are used to mount their mufflers to the Venture / RSTD. Their mufflers were designed originally for the Road King so they should be a perfect fit for your pipes and bike.

Below is the email I received form Krome Werks

you will need:

1 each 680855, bracket left

1 each 680856, bracket right

2 each 2099801, nut plate

680855 $10.00

680856 $10.00

2099801 $3.00

Prices are less shipping (UPS ground is standard.) We accept Visa, MasterCard or Discover. To order, call Monday through Thursday 9-6 central.

Customer Service

Khrome Werks

div. D.S. Manufacturing, Inc.

Ph. 952-758-9523 Monday through Thursday, 9-6 central

www.khromewerks.com

Yes these pipes were on a Harley before. I found a pipe expander at Harbor Freight. I will try that. I just wanted to make sure these were supposed to slip over the stock head pipe. I also bought the v twin chrome step clamps from the Ebay seller that says these are for Royal Star owners switching to the Harley touring pipes. Did you also use these? Once I get the fronts worked out I will defintely order the rear brackets from Khromewerks. That is a great price.

I had that same problem with one set of HD pipes I have and had to use the wrap around clamp to resolve the issue. The HD pipe bottoms out on the inside of the clamp shown in the photo.. Using the other type of clamp (looks like a heavy strap with a cross bolt pulling it together) will allow you to push the HD slipons up the pipe more to eliminate the gap...

if you go to a HD shop they should fix you up with the other type of clamps easily enough.

I'm able to use that clamp in the photo with my Rineharts and an older HD pipe but not the newer one.. Go figure..