IGNORED

Short in light bar

I have a short in my light bar. (I guess that's what you call it...The chrome bar that holds the turn signals and the ?Fog lights?

They are on sometimes and off sometimes. It is not the switch (which seems to be built on to the cigarette lighter. When they are working, the switch will turn them on and off; but when they are not working, turning the switch on and off several times, never brings them back online. I have removed the seat and jiggled wires and never got the lights to go on or off or even flicker. Even when they are not working, everything else on the bike works, even the front turn signals which are attached to the light bar.

My next plan of action is to open the fairing and trace the wires. Just thought I would ask about this, in case there was some common problem that was known and someone could point me in that direction. Thanks

dana

I had a similar problem this summer. When I opened up the fairing, I discovered that whoever installed the lights originally (Probably the dealer) had used one of those "blade" type power taps. Jiggling it back and forth would turn the lights off and on. I removed it and soldered the wires back together and replaced the glass fuse with an ATC style. I also relocated the fuse to a spot near the opening in the fairing by the neck of the frame so that if the fuse blows, I can replace it without splitting the fairing. While you're at it, you should put a relay into the circuit. I didn't and my ignition switch was toasted. I just finished removing it and repairing it (Temporarily till I get another switch) and putting a relay into the ignition circuit. Next up is a relay for the headlight and driving lights. That should ease the load on the ignition switch. Oh yeah...I put in an emergency bypass too...just in case my repair fails before I can get another switch.

Here's a link to an excellent document by Dingy. It does a great job of explaining (With diagrams) how to understand what is going on and how to install relays where needed.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150&highlight=relays+101

Good luck.

Andy

Behind the light bar are wire connectors...pull the center plastic piece off , it just snaps on it if you have one. Then reach up under and behind the light bar and you will find about 6 male / female type connectors. One of them may be loose frome where they let the light bar "HANG" from the wires during installation...

Good luck

I also had a similar problem on my passing lamps over a year ago. It was a loose connection around the fuse. From what was described, the good news is that it is an easy fix provided you can find where that loose connection is. As suggested earlier, jiggle wire inside the fairing and you shall find the issue. :thumbsup:Good Luck.