IGNORED

Air Bag versus No air Bag ... you be da judge

SilvrT

Well, it looks like you're better off with the bag than without it. But...it looks like the rider's head still hits the vehicle, as it was just above the top edge of the bag. Either way, I still prefer to not hit the vehicle at all. We still need that invisible shield technology from Star Trek!

Andy

I should have studied my German in high school.

I think they said that without the air bag he broke his schwietzen.:rotf:

Air bag looked like it helped, but I'd just as soon not try it.

Did you notice the van driver's head movement during the crash? Definitely don't want a heavy bike plowing into the side of your vehicle with any speed. They ought to show that as a training video to get people to look before they pull out or turn.

Folks, like the front air bags in cars, these devices have very limited effect. They will only help in a front collision with an impact within a 15 or 20 degree window. Since few accidents happen this way, the cost of the 'protection' is not cost effective. People that want to pay for it should have the opportunity to buy a bike equipped with air bags. Others should be able to opt-out.

:2cents:

Use the force Andy....Use the force!!

Well, I forced and I forced and then had to go to the bathroom. I still prefer to avoid the collision...or...better yet...how about a pair of 50,000 watt lasers on the front of the bike? A vaporised vehicle wouldn't be a danger right? Now of course, there's that semi trailer-sized generator you would have to tow.... Hmmmm - wonder how that new battery technology is coming?

Andy

I dont know, whenever I straddle the bike I notice my airbag sitting on top of the tank. It disappears when I get off and re-appears when I get back on. Strangest thing.....:scratchchin:

Folks, like the front air bags in cars, these devices have very limited effect. They will only help in a front collision with an impact within a 15 or 20 degree window. Since few accidents happen this way, the cost of the 'protection' is not cost effective. People that want to pay for it should have the opportunity to buy a bike equipped with air bags. Others should be able to opt-out.

:2cents:

Actually, statistics show that a high percentage of motorcycle/car accidents are side impact on the car, front impact on the bike, from when the car turns left in front of an unseen motorcycle. So for motorcycles it is much more likely to be useful.

This is the third Goldwing air bag crash dummy test I have seen. I cannot understand this one, but on both others without the air bag the estimated injuries were fatal, with the dummy breaking its neck. With the air bag the estimated injuries were non life threatening, and not even estimated to be critical.

Actually, statistics show that a high percentage of motorcycle/car accidents are side impact on the car, front impact on the bike, from when the car turns left in front of an unseen motorcycle. So for motorcycles it is much more likely to be useful.

This is the third Goldwing air bag crash dummy test I have seen. I cannot understand this one, but on both others without the air bag the estimated injuries were fatal, with the dummy breaking its neck. With the air bag the estimated injuries were non life threatening, and not even estimated to be critical.

You are right. Most motorcycle accidents used to be single vehicle (rider loses control). Stats seem to say that recently 75% of motorcycle accidents are now the bike crashing into a car. However, the rest of the story is also important. Riders that do not have good avoidance skills or do not properly use the front brake are overly involved in car crashes and touring bikes represent a small percentage in these crashes.

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

I also feel that a rider will likely try to swerve instead of crashing head-on and thus make the air bag ineffective most of the time.

:soapbox: