IGNORED

Need to mount a trailer hitch with offset

Sylvester

I have an 02 RSMV with a Hannigan Classic sidecar. I also have a Shadow trailer I want to mount to the RSMV. I need to offset the ball six inches to the right of the center of the bike. If I don't do this my bike/sidecar/trailer will be wider than my Ram 1500 pickup. I need some ideas.

:farmer:

Do you have a hitch on the bike now? Pics?

If you had something like the markland hitch yo could just drill a new hole in the platform.

My biggest concern would be the additional side load wanting to make the whole rig pull to the right.

I do not have a hitch attached. I do not worry about the pull since the sidecar already does that, but it is easily controlled by slower accelleration. I have welding capabilities in my shop and all I really need is the right hitch receiver that I can offset.

With your welding/shop capabilities, you should be able to buy a simple mount from a trailer/hitch store and build what you need. For instance, you can get a square tube receiver part, and weld the rest to that, and then use any ball mount.

Another idea, is buy a 6" DROP ball mount and just turn it sideways (need to drill a new hole for the pin) and then cut the mount off and re-weld it to the now bottom (former side) of the mount!

For instance here is a mount:

http://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1365&catId=182

If you can cut the mount off and weld it to the side, then any Class 1 hitch receiver that mounts normally to your bike would work. I know nothing about the store in the link, it was just the first one that had the thing I was thinking of, so look around. Most areas have a good trailer hitch/supply store that has these things in stock, so you can look at it in person for an idea how hard it would be to reconfigure.

Hope I have helped.

I have an 02 RSMV with a Hannigan Classic sidecar. I also have a Shadow trailer I want to mount to the RSMV. I need to offset the ball six inches to the right of the center of the bike. If I don't do this my bike/sidecar/trailer will be wider than my Ram 1500 pickup. I need some ideas.

:farmer:

Trade the Ram for a Dakota.:lightbulb: