IGNORED

Gas Generator Question

GolfVenture

This morning my power went out. Switched box over to the backup system diconecting from city provided power so not to conflict when city power comes back on. The generator engine started up just fine. Fliped the breaker switch one at a time. Then checked for power. No electricity.

Hmmmm. double checked all my connections still no power. Brought a electric drill and pluged into one of the 110 outlets on he generator and no electricity.

I do not know anything about generators. Is a Generic 5000 watt. Bought it new 15 years ago, always stored in a heated garage. Probably used is once or twice a year for maybe 10 hours each year.

Anyone have any suggestions?

This morning my power went out. Switched box over to the backup system diconecting from city provided power so not to conflict when city power comes back on. The generator engine started up just fine. Fliped the breaker switch one at a time. Then checked for power. No electricity.

Hmmmm. double checked all my connections still no power. Brought a electric drill and pluged into one of the 110 outlets on he generator and no electricity.

I do not know anything about generators. Is a Generic 5000 watt. Bought it new 15 years ago, always stored in a heated garage. Probably used is once or twice a year for maybe 10 hours each year.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you check for a reset/breaker on the generator? most have one

Guest tx2sturgis

I dont think the 'flash' procedure applies to 120v home gensets.

Have you checked your transfer switch? There should be a light that tells you that the genset is making power, or not.

If nothing indicates power, look for tripped breakers on the genset. Check the voltage meter on the genset. If it doesnt have one, and there is no way to plug in a tester in a 120v outlet at the genset, then you may need a meter to test across the genset output.

Dont be afraid to call in a service tech, if you cant figure it out. Lots of stray electrons might be waiting to enter your body....not good!

Since you did check for power at the generator and tried the reset switches, the other possibility is that after 15 years the age got it instead of the hours. It is possible that there are some corroded connections inside of the generator. Try all of the outlets on the generator to see if there is any sign of life in any of them.

If all is dead you can try to take whatever covers you can get off of the generator and check for anything that is obviously broken or corroded. You can check the circuit breakers with an ohm meter to be sure that they are really working. You can check the coils for continuity to see if there is an open. Depending on the design you may be able to diagnose it as fatal or repairable just by poking around with an ohm meter.

Beyond that it might just be time for a trip to a repair facility or even an upgrade.

I maintain an 8500 watt generator for my small farm and check it every fall before winter sets in. I buy on the cheap end and usually get a number of years of service. If it fails the fall test it goes to scrap and I get another. I try to buy at Harbor Freight since you can buy the warranty and take it back in twenty three months and get a new one. I have not done this with generators since my old one is still running fine, but I have done this deal with a number of other tools and it works. I have a three ton floor jack that I will return next March and get a new one. I had a job compressor that I take to work when I have a remodel project; it started acting up and I took it back. They did not have one as large so they refunded all my money ($159.00). Two months later they had the same compressor for sale at $89.00. You know what I have now for use!

:farmer:

Did you check for a reset/breaker on the generator? most have one

Yes each of the outlet has a reset button and I pressed each one. Only I'm not feeling any type of a reset click when I push it.

should be a main reset on the gen assembly itself, not the resets on each plug outlet.

probably little round white button.

• 2 weeks later...
Since you did check for power at the generator and tried the reset switches, the other possibility is that after 15 years the age got it instead of the hours. It is possible that there are some corroded connections inside of the generator. Try all of the outlets on the generator to see if there is any sign of life in any of them.

If all is dead you can try to take whatever covers you can get off of the generator and check for anything that is obviously broken or corroded. You can check the circuit breakers with an ohm meter to be sure that they are really working. You can check the coils for continuity to see if there is an open. Depending on the design you may be able to diagnose it as fatal or repairable just by poking around with an ohm meter.

Beyond that it might just be time for a trip to a repair facility or even an upgrade.

Took your suggestion. Disconnected the cable from the generator to the outlet box. I opened the outlet box and cleaned all the connections, even tho they all looked clean. My thoughts would be that being all 4 outlets did not produce power that if any corrision were to be found would be in the main cable. I sprayed some electric contact cleaner and worked the connection off and on a few times of the main cable. Again the connection looked clean. I also removed the plate from the accessible end of the Generator and the inside looked really clean. I did not mess with anything inside for wasn't sure if there might be some stored electricity.

Well put if all back together and fired her up and pluged an applicance into one of the 110volt outlet and turn the switch on. Wala, we have power.

Went to shut the engine off and the switch broke off. If it isn't one thing its another. Only I can just order another switch. Couldn't choke kill the engine so I had to pull the plug cap off.

Thanks Flyinfool.

I'll be getting to cutting the LED strips soon. Just too many projects going on. Currently working on a new rear light bar for my motion directional LED turn signals and my Knight Rider sequential LED stop lamp.

Took your suggestion. Disconnected the cable from the generator to the outlet box. I opened the outlet box and cleaned all the connections, even tho they all looked clean. My thoughts would be that being all 4 outlets did not produce power that if any corrision were to be found would be in the main cable. I sprayed some electric contact cleaner and worked the connection off and on a few times of the main cable. Again the connection looked clean. I also removed the plate from the accessible end of the Generator and the inside looked really clean. I did not mess with anything inside for wasn't sure if there might be some stored electricity.

Well put if all back together and fired her up and pluged an applicance into one of the 110volt outlet and turn the switch on. Wala, we have power.

Went to shut the engine off and the switch broke off. If it isn't one thing its another. Only I can just order another switch. Couldn't choke kill the engine so I had to pull the plug cap off.

Thanks Flyinfool.

I'll be getting to cutting the LED strips soon. Just too many projects going on. Currently working on a new rear light bar for my motion directional LED turn signals and my Knight Rider sequential LED stop lamp.

In an AC generator there should not be any stored electricity to worry about unless it is an inverter type, and the inverter type should have circuitry designed in to discharge the capacitors when it is off.

Glad you got it working, NOW QUIT BREAKING STUFF!!!