IGNORED

Thinking about converting to a trike or sidecar any input

Well, my health issues are not getting any better, and I think it may be time for me to consider a trike or sidecar option for my venture royale. Anybody have any input on either? Anybody know of any used kits for sale? I really didn't want to spend more on a trike kit than the bike is worth. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

your most economical (cheapest) option will probably an asymmetrical trike, aka sidecar, you can probably get a used chair for around $1500 but will need to add the mounting from a reputable shop. Still beats 6 grand plus for a trike kit plus conversion costs.

Well, my health issues are not getting any better, and I think it may be time for me to consider a trike or sidecar option for my venture royale. Anybody have any input on either? Anybody know of any used kits for sale? I really didn't want to spend more on a trike kit than the bike is worth. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 hacks for sale local here in NC for $1500 each.One is a URAL and one is a Velorex 562.I rode my bike to Georgia 4 years ago to the Velorex dealer and had a 562 installed by the dealer for 4 grand.I love the sidecar.

A sidecar rig will take some getting used to...more so than a tricycle. Another option might be to check out listings for someone selling a used trike built on the same bike as yours. There was a Goldwing trike for sale around here last year for around $4,500. The engine was gone but the trike equipment was still good. Perhaps you could do a "transplant" and then sell the rest of the parts on Ebay? Just a thought!

Andy

There are good deals on Voyager trike kits out there. I got one for around $1500.00. seen a couple of others for between $1500.00 and $2500.00. This is a good way to go if you can't afford a true trike. How ever if you do go with a trike convertion There is a 99 RSV for $12000.00 in Boise Idaho. The add say it comes with a trailer. You can find it on craigslist.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been hitting up craigs list and ebay every day looking for a good local deal to come up. I may end up just getting a towpac instatrike kit and call it done. They are around $3200 for the 8" wheel kit. I am probably just going to spend the money and refurbish this bike as much as I can to make her as nice/reliable as possible. My back just went out again (6 herniated/bulging discs) so I have some time to decide on whats right for me. It's aggravating being only 28 with so many health issues, especially since I've been riding since I've been 3. At this point I think the trike option is a more viable one than a sidecar, even though I think the sidecar is cooler.

Last night I missed out on a california friendship sidecar rig with paint that pretty near matched the color of my bike. Sold for under $1800 on ebay. Oh well, time to keep looking. Would have had to drive 450miles to get it though.

If you have back problems you really need to get the loan of an outfit to make sure it is for you. The rake and trail on the Venture mean that even with a sidecar, you don't have to work too hard to steer it, but that is speaking relatively. It still takes quite a bit of effort to throw it about compared with a solo, although a suitable leading link front end or hub-centre steering set-up would alleviate that.

I wouldn't want to put you off, but getting an outfit set up for you nad then finding that it was no good for your back would be disappointing to say the least. (Especially as I'm selling my old XJ750 and sidecar on Ebay...) I've never driven a trike, so I don't know how much input you need to pilot them - probably less I'd imagine.

In the last three weeks I have purchased a used Hannigan Classic sidecar. As of now I am waiting for the rigging that will attach to my 2002 RSMV, this side car came off a HD Ultra. I think this is what I want, so I can take off the car and ride two up.

:farmer:

Greg,

The want/need for a trike or sidecar was pretty much so I don't have to lean or as much when piloting two people, so I don't have to lean the bike while at lights or getting on and off of it, it's hard to side straddle it while getting on as I have shorter legs but a tall upper body and because of the back problems and I would like to put my drivers backrest back on to it. I also had carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands but I still have pain, so I was just trying to come up with a solution so I can keep enjoying riding. I did find a 1977 goldwing with the towpac trike setup in running order complete for $3250, so I may get that and adapt the trike kit to my bike and maybe just sell the goldwing come springtime. I know I should probably stop riding (already sold all of my old off road atc's/trikes but the one I use to plow snow and haul firewood). I think I would go absolutely crazy if I was unable to ride at all anymore. I'm just not 100% where to go.

Sylvester,

Are you selling the sidecar or did you just buy one? Once a sidecar is mounted it's not the easiest thing to re-setup and get adjusted properly when you want to ride just two up on the bike. Usually it's just a set it and forget it type of thing, unless you hate it then you take it off.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to put you off - I've found sidecars are great fun and when you're travelling, everybody wants to be your friend (and come for a ride).

But... when I say that you need to steer it, I mean that you need to physically grab the bars and steer it - in the UK they were sometimes called chariots. Depending on the suspension available and quality of roads, the sidecar wheel dropping into potholes at the side of the road can be punishing over long distances, so it can be more tiring over long distances (although we've criss-crossed Europe on ours).

If you have a medical condition, on the one hand try before you buy, but on the other hand don't expect to be able to just jump on without time to adapt. Driving an outfit is a whole new skill, though what you learn will make you a much better driver in any vehicle.

Sylvester,

Are you selling the sidecar or did you just buy one? Once a sidecar is mounted it's not the easiest thing to re-setup and get adjusted properly when you want to ride just two up on the bike. Usually it's just a set it and forget it type of thing, unless you hate it then you take it off.

I am not selling the sidecar. I look forward to using it. I plan on leaving it on through the winter and maybe forever. If I like the hack effect I will get the upper tripple tree so the steering will be simpler.

:farmer:

Well, I think I found my answer. I found a complete running ready to go 1977 goldwing with the towpac instatrike setup for the price of just the instratrike by itself. Bad news is its 280 miles away, its most likely still worth it. I could get the bracket kit for my bike and just swap the trike kit back and fourth as I wanted to.