IGNORED

Metzler Tire Question

Vince GSr

I don't know if the 170 will fit on the RSV due to the shaft drive clearance needs. But it may.

I run Metzlers on my Millenium. Third set with no issues. Run 44psi in the rear and about 41 in the front. I get great mileage from those tires too.

I also run Metzlers on my wife's VStar 650 Classic.

Funny thing, my RSV's stock rear tire is a 150 and the VStar's stock rear is 170. I woulda thought Yamaha would have had that the other way around.

My '88 Royale had Dunlop E3s on it when I bought it a couple of years ago. Haven't put a lot of miles on that bike yet, but the E3s seem to work really well.

Those of you who have never had a failure with a Metzler tire count yourselves among the fortunate. Some of us have had multiple failures of the rear tire where chunks of rubber came off. In my case I lost rubber on 2 out of three rear tires. Metzler C/S tried to blame me for not having the proper air pressure. 48 lbs in the rear just like Metzler wants you to run. Now many have not had any failures, but these tires, at least on the RSV are not recommended. Personal choice is the Avon Venom.

As far as the 170 tire goes, the 150 is pretty close to the driveshaft housing as it is. A 170 will be even tighter. Some have been known to rub against the driveshaft tube. Your call.

Those of you who have never had a failure with a Metzler tire count yourselves among the fortunate. Some of us have had multiple failures of the rear tire where chunks of rubber came off. In my case I lost rubber on 2 out of three rear tires. Metzler C/S tried to blame me for not having the proper air pressure. 48 lbs in the rear just like Metzler wants you to run. Now many have not had any failures, but these tires, at least on the RSV are not recommended. Personal choice is the Avon Venom.

As far as the 170 tire goes, the 150 is pretty close to the driveshaft housing as it is. A 170 will be even tighter. Some have been known to rub against the driveshaft tube. Your call.

Ditto.

i would not have anything to do with a Metzeler again after having my rear tire rubber delaminate on me out on the highway with me and my wife on board. i was running 50 psi it was a new tire installed at a local dealer, we travelled to the east coast and with 3000 km on the new tire, my bike started to vibrate severly so i hit the brakes and pulled onto the shoulder quickly. about the size of half a football was ballooned out. fought with dealer and Metzeler, even sent them the section of tire. they said it was my fault for under inflation. i gave up after 6 months of phone calls and emails.

then shortly after that a riding buddy on a Harley, we pulled off the highway for the night, next morning go to get on the road and his tire the rubber had delaminated also, thank god it did not happen the night before out on the highway with him and his wife on board.

we dont want to see anything happen to you, so please take this into consideration.

cheers, Scott