IGNORED

Vehicle opinions.....car related

Snaggletooth

I ran across a '98 GMC SLS 4X4 that looks interesting for $2,500. Haven't seen it yet so no details but if anyone has owned one I'd like to hear your thoughts. Supposed to be loaded and very clean.

I've never owed a Jimmy but I have had mixed opinions from owners in the past. Some love.... some hate. Ya know how that goes.

Mike

Purely from a auto shop perspective... transmissions and transfer cases are known to fail. They also develop a lot of squeaks as time goes by. The 4x4 is not a true 4x4 system. Only engages 1 wheel on each axle.

The 4.3 engine is pretty much bullet proof if taken care of, though it can have intake problems, not a major repair. Interior is prone to fall apart easily, cheaper seats and trim.

I had a 92 S-10 Blazer with the Vortec 4.3 V6. One of the best vehicles I've owned.

Not sure how much they changed by 98. That was the period where GM really started to turn out some crap. It took 120K miles on my 97 Yukon until enough OEM parts were replaced with aftermarket and engineering changes so it wasn't always broken. Now at 202K miles it's more reliable than it was at 20K.

I had a 2000 GMC Jimmy.

I got it at 65,000 Km and sold it at 218,000

During that time I had to:

rebuild the transmission

replace all ball joints

replace tie rod ends (twice)

Rebuild rear end

replace rear axle bearings a 2nd time

replace the starter

replace front wheel bearings twice

replace the rad and heater core

Last summer I spent almost $1600 on brake work....then blew a break line and said :bang head:"enough is enough" and sold it cheap.

I have a 2003 s10 pickup with the 4.3 engine, had a 99 two wheel drive s10 pickup b4 that. can't beat the engine. body pannel rust is an issue. the 99 was 2wd, sat lower so it was easier to load a bike into the back. 2003 is a push button 4wd, have not figured out how to get it stuck yet. the 2003 is used only rarely to haul Kayaks, bikes on a trailer or three dogs to the lake. had to replace air conditioner compressors on both. and somehow the forward catilytic converter self destructed and the rusty flaKES blocked the rear catalytic converter, no power no accel, could barely go up a slight hill. other than that bullet proof, will eventually have to replace it but will just get another one.

Al

:mytruck1: