IGNORED

Loose Muffler at the pipe

My right muffler on the 91 VR is loose. I grab the tail pipe and the entire unit easily moves side to side 1/2 to 1 inch.

I've tighten the bolt to the frame, and I've tighten the clamp at the juncture point. It appears that the movement is at the clamp for the juncture point.

I've taken the entire right muffler off at the juncture point for the muffle and the end of the exhaust pipe all look good.

The nut/bolt and clamp has more room to tighten but it is tight on the muffler. To go much tighter I would break the bolt.

The left side is tight.

On my 89 VR both left and tight muffler are tight and snug.

Could there be a missing sleeve/spacer the goes over the end of the exahust pipe but inside the muffler?

Also I noticed 5 lub fittings while I was under the VR. Before I grease them are there any more? Also any special type of greese reommended?

My right muffler on the 91 VR is loose. I grab the tail pipe and the entire unit easily moves side to side 1/2 to 1 inch.

I've tighten the bolt to the frame, and I've tighten the clamp at the juncture point. It appears that the movement is at the clamp for the juncture point.

I've taken the entire right muffler off at the juncture point for the muffle and the end of the exhaust pipe all look good.

The nut/bolt and clamp has more room to tighten but it is tight on the muffler. To go much tighter I would break the bolt.

The left side is tight.

On my 89 VR both left and tight muffler are tight and snug.

Could there be a missing sleeve/spacer the goes over the end of the exahust pipe but inside the muffler?

Also I noticed 5 lub fittings while I was under the VR. Before I grease them are there any more? Also any special type of greese reommended?

If it is moving that much it may be the collector is broke.

There is a thin gasket/band inside muffler on collector end, but no more than 1/32" thick probably.

I would suggest you take the bolt out that is holding muffler on under rear footrest bracket (12 mm) and see what collector necks look like.

The grease fittings were installed by a previous owner I think, don't believe that year came with them. Just regular grease in a pump gun will be fine. Lithium soap based I think is a techy term.

Gary

Maybe it might not be 1/2 to1 in loose. But it is loose.

looking at the exhaust schemetic, looks like there is an exhaust gasket that might have not been isntalled during initial assembly. VR only has 6700 miles on it. I'll look again tomorrow morning but when I looked today I didn't see one. Looks like they are about $20 from the dealers.

Anyone have an extra Exhaust gasket?

The grease fittings on the suspension linkage would be OEM for a 1991. I believe whatever is in your grease gun would suffice.

As for the exhaust gasket, it appears to be asbestos like and you're correct, quite pricey. The right hand muffler is the one that comes off every time the rear wheel is pulled. I used a strip of aluminum wrapped around the remnants of the original gasket to take up some space. If there is no gasket left, try muffler patch wrapped around the pipe.