IGNORED

Fork oil and\or air filling

I've got a leaky seal on my front forks. Due to financial constraints, they will have to wait to get fixed this winter. As of now, they don't have much pressure of any kind to them and riding a low rider without much suspension is not my cup of tea.... Lol. The class system flashes E1 which I'm assuming from what I've read is due to the lack of pressure or ability to create pressure. Anywho? Any easy ways to refil these with fluid and/or air so I can have a few more good rides this season before she gets overhauled this winter?

Thanks guys!

Well Jay,

The words "Leaking fork seals" and "So I can have a few more good rides this season" just don't go together. In other words, with leaking forks, you are destined to a ****ty ride.....until you replace the seals.

But until you do, I would refrain from adding (or trying) any air to your forks......it will just force the fork oil by the seals sooner. But if your seals are not torn from scratches or dings in the fork tubes, you might be able to stop them from leaking by lifting the dust seal up and poring a teaspoon of ATF transmission fluid down on top of the seals and replace the dust cover. ATF will sometimes force the seal to swell. And if you feel your front end is creating a "Low rider" then you might consider replacing fork springs while you are replacing seals this winter. In other words, your forks springs have lost all of their sag and need to be replaced.....with either Progressive brand or constant rate springs. And if you are still pumping oil out of the forks, it will undoubtedly be running down the bottom ends into your brake calipers, thus ruining your brake pads.

So, go ahead and plan on replacing your seals (and springs) asap,

Rick

I've got a leaky seal on my front forks. Due to financial constraints, they will have to wait to get fixed this winter. As of now, they don't have much pressure of any kind to them and riding a low rider without much suspension is not my cup of tea.... Lol. The class system flashes E1 which I'm assuming from what I've read is due to the lack of pressure or ability to create pressure. Anywho? Any easy ways to refil these with fluid and/or air so I can have a few more good rides this season before she gets overhauled this winter?

Thanks guys!

Hey Jay,

Rick is correct, there is no "reach around" for replacing leaking fork seals, except for replacing them! With that being said, here is a trick I use on bikes that are out on the road, on long trips where replacing the fork seals just can't be done until you return home.

With your bike on the center stand, and a small jack under the oil pan, snugged up. (this is important!)

Remove the Cruise Control cover, and handle bars, (just lay them up by the dash, with all cables connected) remove the two plastic vents on either side of the forks, (the right side vent that has the emergency flasher switch, just leave everything connected and drape this assembly on the Class Controller) Remove the two big plugs at the top of the fork tubes with an Allen wrench. You will need to lower the jack under the oil pan, and remove the fork springs and spacers, then jack the bike back up until the forks are extended fully.

NOW ADD 2 ozs. of LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK to each fork tube, then fill the fork tubes with 15WT. fork oil to the level of 6.0 inches from the top of the fork oil to the top of the fork tubes. Reinstall the springs and spacers, reinstall the plugs in the top of the fork tubes, and then the vents and cruise control panel. This fix will be around $20.00, and should buy you some time. Here is my disclaimer, **THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX** but should get you thru the rest of THIS riding season only. Do not add any air to the front forks as this will only force more fork oil by the seals.

If you have trouble following this procedure, feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks guys for the tips. I've never tackled any fork projects before. I keep getting mixed signals on forks... Some say replace everything.... Springs, seals, slides, dust covers etc...

some say replace oil and seals only. How do I know what all needs to be replaced?#

Edited by 86venturejay
misspelled