IGNORED

broke oil pan

One word,,,,,,, "Oh crap".

Was crusing down I-20 with traffic at about 75 when the rear tire started getting squirlly. Pulled off just in time to pull in to a parking lot. Yep, flat rear, bolt in the tire.

My son-in-law brought my trailer. As I was about to ride up the ramp he said,,,,

"you sure you can make that angle?". I said yeah,,,, without really checking.

You guessed it, the oil pan hit the trailer bed edge and knocked the oil plug 1/2 way out and broke open the bottom of the oil pan, setting up for a rapid oil drain.

I will check with the dealer and look on Pinwall. But my dealer is great and likely will take it there.

SO,,, Anyone got guesses on repair cost. I'm guessing the only damage is the oil pan it's self.

Thanks, Mike G

I did something similar on a Hondaa a few years ago. Should be an easy and cheap fix, esp if you can find a pan off a donor bike. The oil pan itself is around $175 for the Venture.

Edited by allwx
update info

One word,,,,,,, "Oh crap".

Was crusing down I-20 with traffic at about 75 when the rear tire started getting squirlly. Pulled off just in time to pull in to a parking lot. Yep, flat rear, bolt in the tire.

My son-in-law brought my trailer. As I was about to ride up the ramp he said,,,,

"you sure you can make that angle?". I said yeah,,,, without really checking.

You guessed it, the oil pan hit the trailer bed edge and knocked the oil plug 1/2 way out and broke open the bottom of the oil pan, setting up for a rapid oil drain.

I will check with the dealer and look on Pinwall. But my dealer is great and likely will take it there.

SO,,, Anyone got guesses on repair cost. I'm guessing the only damage is the oil pan it's self.

Thanks, Mike G

It should have only messed up the pan. I'm not sure if a 1stGen and 2ndGen are the same pan, but it sure would help if they are. There aren't that many 'busted' 2gen motors around yet... Good luck.

Thanks for the replys. Feeling kind of stupid right now, hope I get over that(??)

Actually, just found a couple on eBay. Pinwall had one off an '07 RSV for $30 + ship.

Bought it. This was my '06 RSTD, but will fit fine.

Yeah, that is probably the only damage. I probably need to get a gasket just in case.

Then,,,,, I still got to fix a flat,,,,

Thanks, Mike G

That feeling stupid is just a matter of time if you are doing things that expose yourself to mistakes. You just told us about it. Nice thing about this group is that this thread will probably fill up with stupid things we've done, just to make you feel better.

I can't think of one right now, but that's probably because of my age.

Good luck with the repairs & THANK GOD you didn't have an accident due to the flat tire. Could have been worse.

C Ya, Patrolman46 Hey where's my Patrolman? & Nurse?

That feeling stupid is just a matter of time if you are doing things that expose yourself to mistakes. You just told us about it. Nice thing about this group is that this thread will probably fill up with stupid things we've done, just to make you feel better.

I can't think of one right now, but that's probably because of my age.

Good luck with the repairs & THANK GOD you didn't have an accident due to the flat tire. Could have been worse.

C Ya, Patrolman46 Hey where's my Patrolman? & Nurse?

Well I just tried to blow up my brand new $250 ingitech ingtion unit today. Unpluged the brand new MAP sensor to route the wiring into the cowling, the proceded to plug up the "murphy proof" connector backwards. Then power everything up and try to figure out why its not responding correctly. Lucked out and no damage, and bike runs like a screaming eagle!

Well I just tried to blow up my brand new $250 ingitech ingtion unit today. Unpluged the brand new MAP sensor to route the wiring into the cowling, the proceded to plug up the "murphy proof" connector backwards. Then power everything up and try to figure out why its not responding correctly. Lucked out and no damage, and bike runs like a screaming eagle!

That is supposed to be a good thing!?!?!? :think:

I am kidding, simmer down you HD folks. :stickpoke::witch_brew: