IGNORED

2nd Generation lighting question

kantornado

I want to replace my Turn/Tail/brake lights with LED lights and keep the Red/Amber covers.

I ran across these and was wondering if any of you use them.

1157-x12 LED bulb

12-LED 12VDC replacement bulb

15mm Dual Intensity Bayonet Base

Available with 12 Narrow or Wide Angle LEDs in White

Also if the 1157-x12 LED bulb is what I need or the 1157-x24 LED bulb.

Do I get the Narrow or Wide Angle??

I know I also need the 1156-x12 LED bulb or 24.

Thanks for the insight and I am sure I'm not alone in wondering about this so it will help us all.................................................Ron

P.S. Probably should of put this in the 2nd Gen Tech section. Move it please

If I remember correctly, the "BASE" of the stock light bulbs are different than the BASE of the 1157 / 1156 bulbs.

There is a thread some place ( I'm looking for it), about grinding off one of the little posts on the base of the 1157 or 1156 bulbs, to where either will work in the stock light socket..

If I remember correctly, the "BASE" of the stock light bulbs are different than the BASE of the 1157 / 1156 bulbs.

There is a thread some place ( I'm looking for it), about grinding off one of the little posts on the base of the 1157 or 1156 bulbs, to where either will work in the stock light socket..

I had heard/read that also but I replaced one of the front turn/running lights on my bike last spring and I just used the standard 1157, seem to work fine.

Jerry

Hey Ron... Can you give me a link with pic of those LED bulbs you are looking for? I'm bought angeled one and wasnt happyat all, they are stell somewhere in my garage, I Have 1.85" radiant cluster With pigtail , Those LED's are way brighter and filling up lens much nicer. Like This One:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#Radiantz_LED_Clusters_

ECK 2002 models have standard 1156 / 1157 2 prong base, Yama is change to 3 prong on 2005 models and Up.As you said 1156 /1157 will work on newer models if one nipple is grainded down.

Good Luck Ron.

I had heard/read that also but I replaced one of the front turn/running lights on my bike last spring and I just used the standard 1157, seem to work fine.

Jerry

I've been searching and cant find that thread..but during my search, I have come across MANY posts that say the same thing you did in that they fit fine..no problems...???????????? :think:

Oh well...I'm going back in my box now..:whistling:

Thanks for the help there Stardbog..

ECK 2002 models have standard 1156 / 1157 2 prong base, Yama is change to 3 prong on 2005 models and Up.As you said 1156 /1157 will work on newer models if one nipple is grainded down.

All you need to do is file down one of the post (any one) and the 1157 will work in the rear of the newer bikes. The front signal still uses the older 1156 base.

Here you go Dan:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Just scroll down the page.

There marked 1156/1157 replacement bulbs and they look like my original bulbs. but looks might be deceiving.

With running my 4 - 55 watt driving lights and pulling the trailer I want to cut down on the amount of amps I need to power everything and the LED's will be brighter and do that................Ron

Ron Replacement PASSING LAMP"S LED Bulbs are OK, But turn signal LED's are not good. Original vacum Bulb is omny directional emiting light 360* around. LED's Are directional and will direct light as flash light.

First pic One is good , to replace turn signal Bulb's

Second and third pic's are not good

If you take look at pic #4 youll see bulb is going sideway

O.K. Dan I see what you mean about the front 1156 bulb I will order that one in CLEAR so I can use the AMBER LENSE

http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/1156-PCB-W36.jpg1156-PCB-W36 White LED lamp

12VDC 1156 Base with 1-1/2 inch square circuit board

With 36 Super White LEDs

Designed for overhead lighting in boats, campers, box trucks, etc.

With Wide 100 Degree Beam Pattern, 57 lumens

$ 16.95

Then I use the 1157 CLEAR for the RED LENSE.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/1157-x24.jpg1157-x24 LED bulb

24-LED 12VDC bulb

15mm Dual Intensity Bayonet Base

Unique Design has 18 LEDs aiming out the end and 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming 90 degrees from the base

Available with Narrow or Wide Angle LEDs in White, Red, and Amber

$ 7.49

Is this correct ?? I think this is what your telling me. Now do I use the NARROW or WIDE ANGLE??

Thanks in advance................................Ron

RON One more suggestion.For amber lences you should use amber LED, and behind red lences -red LED's

Once again This is way better product. Thats what i have installed on my bike.

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#Radiantz_LED_Clusters_

Flasher rate will be higher but turn signal cancelation works fine.

Good luck

Go clear lens with the LED Dynamic Clusters from Customdymanics.

Red run/stop and a ring of amber signal LEDs. I love mine and really helps the rear along with my brake LED light.

Clears were $5/each at the stealer since they are a stock item for the new RSV.