IGNORED

Carb rebuild kit for a 87 VR

Z Factor

As far as I know, there is no kit. I have re-built a few sets of Venture carbs, and I always order parts needed individually. As for the price, $250 to rebuild the carbs would be a fair price. But your post makes it sound like they want $250 + shipping for the parts? the price would depend on if you need to replace your carb diaphram/slide assemblies, they are about $50 to $70 apiece, depending where you order them from.

Yes, that is the price for the parts alone. According to them they tried to clean and acid wash the carbs two times and could not get them to sync. At least a diaphragm needed to be replaced along with a few other components. So based on the work they have already done and the work for rebuilding the carbs once the part comes in, it will be $90 per carb for a total of $360 in labor plus parts.

Any thoughts?

Yes, that is the price for the parts alone. According to them they tried to clean and acid wash the carbs two times and could not get them to sync. At least a diaphragm needed to be replaced along with a few other components. So based on the work they have already done and the work for rebuilding the carbs once the part comes in, it will be $90 per carb for a total of $360 in labor plus parts.

Any thoughts?

Well, depending on how reputable of a place it is and how their quality of workmanship is, their labor costs sounds about right assuming they spend 2 hrs apiece per carb at $45 per hour, or 1 1/2 hrs apiece at $60 per hour. I would like to know, however, if all 4 diaphragms are going to be replaced, and ask for your old parts back. Also, what sort of guarantee will they give you on their work?

Bottom line, I think they could trim their labor costs just a little but I could see it taking 6-8 hrs to remove, clean, disassemble, rebuild, reinstall and finally sync and test the carbs. I would also expect all new parts...

It appears that I need a carb rebuild kit according to the shop I took my bike to. They said it will cost $250 + shipping. Any idea if this price sounds right, and what source/vendor would you buy it from if you are a do it yourself mechanic?

No such thing as a kit for these. 4 diaphrams alone at the cheapest would be at least $210.00+ just for the parts no instalation.

They basically said they are charging me $90 per carb for their attempts to clean and now to rebuild them. While I think only 1 diaphragm is bad, a few "other rubber parts had become hard" and needed to be replaced?

This is the first time using this shop. The service manager offered to have me come and look at what needed to be done, and they have kept my VR inside as promised. Whether these are reasonable prices or not is another issue. As to their warranty, I suspect they will give me something, but with my rep of not riding it that often, who knows what it would be.

Also, I am thinking of having the oil, brake and clutch fluid replaced while it is there. Any idea as to a fair price?

They basically said they are charging me $90 per carb for their attempts to clean and now to rebuild them. While I think only 1 diaphragm is bad, a few "other rubber parts had become hard" and needed to be replaced?

This is the first time using this shop. The service manager offered to have me come and look at what needed to be done, and they have kept my VR inside as promised. Whether these are reasonable prices or not is another issue. As to their warranty, I suspect they will give me something, but with my rep of not riding it that often, who knows what it would be.

Also, I am thinking of having the oil, brake and clutch fluid replaced while it is there. Any idea as to a fair price?

Some of these carb parts arent cheap. I wonder if they are just going to clean them up. Hard rubber parts all I can think of is O rings and the small air cut off diaphram which I think is 26 bucks a piece. Oil, brake and clutch fluid change is really not that hard you could do it yourself.

Yes, I have changed them myself in the past, but as long as they are reasonable with their pricing, I would like to get it done there. Although I always like putting a high quality oil and filter in rather than some cheap stuff. I was just wondering what would be a fair price these days since it has been a while since I've priced any of those maintenance services.

Just a FYI for anyone interested.

My total was about $650.00 for the following;

1 Diaphragm ASSY - 78.00

4 Pilot Screw Sets - 63.52

4 O-Rings - 12.12

4 Gaskets - 28.48

4 CAP - 20.36

4 CAP - 19.52

1 Solvent - 19.95

1 Misc - 5.00

4.95 hours - 371.25

I guess the moral of the story is ride more often or it can get expensive.