IGNORED

New Avon Venom

Just bought a new Avon rear tire and had it mounted today. The shop that mounted it told me that the tire needed 2 oz. of weights to make it balanced and that was very unusual and he even suggested I got a bad tire. On a side note, he tried to sell me something called dynobeads?. Anyhow, is it true about a new tire being bad if it needs 2 oz of weights and what is dynobeads?

All my weights are in grams so that is what I relate to. That is about 57 grams. Last week me and my friend mounted a new tire on his front VTX wheel, and it took 40 grams, all clustered together near the valve stem, to get it balanced. So I don't think 57 grams would necessarily be too much, as long as it is all in the same place. In other words, not two weights 180 degrees apart on the wheel. That might point to trouble. I've always been made to understand that the weights need to be clustered together. I've seen some wheels though, that had them spread around.

I put Venoms on my RSV last week. I checked the balance of the wheels after pulling off the OEM Dunlops and both wheels were heavy toward the valve stem. When I put on the Venoms, nothing changed. It would seem that the Venoms were nicely balanced. I added 42 grams to each wheel, opposite the valve stem, to bring both wheels/tires to balance. They run great.

2oz isn't that much weight.

DynaBeads are an internal balancer made of ceramic beads. Many people swear by them. I've never used them.

If the mechanic was truly worried, he should have broke the beads down and rotated the tire 180* on the wheel to see if the weight moved.

2oz isn't that much weight.

DynaBeads are an internal balancer made of ceramic beads. Many people swear by them. I've never used them.

If the mechanic was truly worried, he should have broke the beads down and rotated the tire 180* on the wheel to see if the weight moved.

My thought on repositioning the tire as well. I had run some Dynabeads in my bike and had bad results on the rear car tires. After taking the beads out and doing a conventional wheelweight balance job they were good to go. Still have the beads in the front tire and haven't decided if I'll use them again on my next tire change or not.

Larry

I use a product called "Slime" in all my bike tires, have for years. It not only will seal a puncture, but helps to balance the tire. I lost a weight on one of my previous bikes and didn't even know it was gone until I was washing it and noticed the spot where it came off. Firm believer in the stuff. Never tried dynabeads.