IGNORED

Fuel Issue During 1st 15 minutes of Riding

The last few days, my '99 RSV has experienced a total loss of engine power within minutes of getting underway. No loss of electrical power, but the bike just literally "dies" for no apparent reason, and then starts right back up again. In both cases, after I fire it back up, it repeats the process - dies, starts up, goes for a minute and dies, then fires back up. Then, in both cases, after about 10 or 15 minutes of riding, everything seems fine. This happened about 2 weeks ago as well, but then not again until yesterday morning and again this morning.

I took it to my mechanic today (the original owner as well) and he can't find anything definitive other then the rubber vacuum plugs below the carbs on both sides of the bike have a small age-related split in them, so they are getting replaced as soon as they come in (I ordered them from the dealer today). The service manager at the dealership has no idea why this is happening unless he tears the carbs apart, which ain't going to happen - at least not there. But he is calling the Yami Tech Center in the morning to describe the symptoms to see if they have any intel or ideas on this from their database of issues and will call me.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening? Could it be ignition related and not a fuel issue?

I will be taking it out in the morning to see if I can get it to repeat this issue.

Thanks.

Next time it dies, remove the fuel cap and see if there is a vacuum in the tank.

If there is, what brand is it? Hoover, Dyson, Electrolux?

That was dumb, anywho, if there is a vacuum in the tank, most likely, the filter on the end of the tank vent is plugged up, or the tank vent line may be pinched. Have you had the tank off recently?

If there's no vacuum, your fuel pump could be dieing and running part of the time.

We checked the tank and fuel lines first, along with the fuel filter (which is relatively new). No pinched lines or clogs. The fuel pump clicks when the bike is first turned on, so it seems to be working fine. The quizzer to me is why this only seems to happen on initial start up, but not when the bike is warmed up.

Thanks for the ideas.

Carry a long allen wrench with you to access the carb drains.

When it dies, turn the key off, then back on. Does the fuel pump click? It should not. Turn the key off.

Now open one of the carb drains - if it is full, it should take about 10 seconds to all drain out - much less and it shows you are actually starving for gas. Don't forget to close the drain again!

Now turn the key back on. Does the fuel pump click? It should.

Goose

Carry a long allen wrench with you to access the carb drains.

When it dies, turn the key off, then back on. Does the fuel pump click? It should not. Turn the key off.

Now open one of the carb drains - if it is full, it should take about 10 seconds to all drain out - much less and it shows you are actually starving for gas. Don't forget to close the drain again!

Now turn the key back on. Does the fuel pump click? It should.

Goose

Just took it out for a spin in the hopes I could get it to repeat the problem to try this, but no luck. When you want the dang thing to not work, it works! But I did the next best test of this. I pulled in the driveway, left it running and turned the petcock to OFF, and it ran for a good 12 to 15 minutes at idle before sputtering. I'm guessing that there is plenty of gas in the bowls.

Is it dieing like just hitting the kill switch or is it sputtering a bit before it dies?

Are you having to use the choke at all to start it?

If not, what happens is you do engage the choke and start it?

Is it dieing like just hitting the kill switch or is it sputtering a bit before it dies? Just dies like you hit the kill switch. No sputtering at all.

Are you having to use the choke at all to start it? No choking required to restart.

If not, what happens if you do engage the choke and start it? Didn't try that, but not sure what that will tell me.

Just took it out for a spin in the hopes I could get it to repeat the problem to try this, but no luck. When you want the dang thing to not work, it works! But I did the next best test of this. I pulled in the driveway, left it running and turned the petcock to OFF, and it ran for a good 12 to 15 minutes at idle before sputtering. I'm guessing that there is plenty of gas in the bowls.

Well, yes, there is plenty of gas in the bowls when the pump is working and no fuel restriction. But what about if the pump is intermittently NOT working? What about if something is intermittently blocking the petcock screens? Of course I have no way of knowing if either of these things is actually happening, but that is what a planned test is all about.

Goose

Is it dieing like just hitting the kill switch or is it sputtering a bit before it dies? Just dies like you hit the kill switch. No sputtering at all.

Sounds more like a loose or corroded electrical problem than a fuel problem. Maybe a faulty switch somewhere.

While the bike is idling, try moving the key around to see if maybe the ignition switch is starting to go bad.

Sounds more like a loose or corroded electrical problem than a fuel problem. Maybe a faulty switch somewhere.

While the bike is idling, try moving the key around to see if maybe the ignition switch is starting to go bad.

If the problem goes away with heat, it is more likely a bad component in the starter relay or ignitor than a loose connection. But heck, it could even be a bad sidestand switch or pickup coil - we are all still guessing until tests narrow it down.

Goose

If the problem goes away with heat, it is more likely a bad component in the starter relay or ignitor than a loose connection. But heck, it could even be a bad sidestand switch or pickup coil - we are all still guessing until tests narrow it down.

Goose

Goose, I'm starting to lean that way myself. While I do think I need to have the carbs tuned, I now also think that the issue is ignition related and not fuel delivery ala the fuel pump. I'm waiting for a call from the svs mgr at the dealership on what his tech support guys at Yami think, but that's the direction I'm going to pursue first to get this identified and fixed.

Bobby,

Are you the type of rider that uses the KILL switch, or do you leave it alone?? 3 years ago I bought a low mileage 89, and it started to do the same thing. Then I was driving down the interstate and I pushed the "cruise on" button. The motor quit firing, the tach went to zero (the motor was still turning over), and the cruise light did not come on. Then a couple of seconds later, the light came on and everything was fine. I looked at the wiring diagram and noticed that the kill switch also switched the power to the cruise control. I rocked the KILL switch about a hundred times, and never had the problem again. I do use the kill switch regularly.

Frank D.

I do use the kill switch on a regular basis out of force of habit. But along those lines, I did isolate the problem last night, and as previously suspected, it turns out to be a bad ignition. With the engine running, I wiggled the key and the engine died. I did this several times with the same result. I took the entire assembly apart, cleaned the contacts, re-assembled and it still does the same thing. So unfortunately, it has to be replaced - - and it ain't cheap. But my peace of mind and safety is paramount.

Wallet lighter, but problem solved.

I think you should be checking the ignition coils. I had similar problems, acted like running out of gas. I replaced fuel filters fuel lines fuel pump pet cock etc..... when it finally almost got me stranded, ignition coils all went bad. $750 later back on the road again. I wont promise this will fix yours but the symptoms are quite similar.:mytruck1: