I want to make a switch to Rotella T6 but I can only find it in 5W-40. The owners manual says 10W-xx is the minimum for the lower viscosity. Is 5W-40 OK?

Depends on temperatures in your area.

I wouldn't at this time here in Vancouver as it's still too warm (geeesh... did I actually say that? LOL) ... IMHO

From what I've read about multi-viscosity oils, the light weight viscosity is for cold weather starting and running in cold weather. As the engine warms up or the weather warms up the viscosity changes (gets thicker). It seem to me that if I'm using an oil that's 5W-40, and it's 80 degrees out, that oil is thicker than 5W. And as the engine gets warm, regardless of the ambient temperature, the oil will reach the 40 viscosity.

From what I've read about multi-viscosity oils, the light weight viscosity is for cold weather starting and running in cold weather. As the engine warms up or the weather warms up the viscosity changes (gets thicker). It seem to me that if I'm using an oil that's 5W-40, and it's 80 degrees out, that oil is thicker than 5W. And as the engine gets warm, regardless of the ambient temperature, the oil will reach the 40 viscosity.

Well, you do whatever you feel OK with. As I said in my prev post.... I wouldn't and you asked the Q ... seems you already have your own answer.

I guess the way I look at it is ... why would Yamaha recommend 10w30 for temps ranging from 10 degrees F to over 90 F ???

I use 10w40 this time of year and in the winter I swap it out to something less than 10 just because it is easier on the engine for cold starting ....

Having said that, I suppose someone will concur with you and that is not to say that I disagree either.

I thought Oil gets THINNER as it warms up

:think:

I thought Oil gets THINNER as it warms up

:think:

Nope...multi-viscosity oil gets thicker to "stick" to the metal better as things get hot. When it gets cold, the oil "thins" out to allow parts to move more easily until they warm up. Put in straight 50W oil in the winter and your engine might not be able to spin fast enough to start due to the resistance of the "thicker" oil (Technically speaking, it isn't getting thinner or thicker but more or less "viscous"). On the other hand, run some straight 5W when temps are in the 90's and your engine would wear heavily and possibly even seize up, depending on conditions.

At least, that's how it has been explained to me over the years. By the way, that's really only true for multi-viscosity oils (5W40, 10W30, etc). Straight viscosity oils normally maintain their original viscosity

Andy

Well, you do whatever you feel OK with. As I said in my prev post.... I wouldn't and you asked the Q ... seems you already have your own answer.

I guess the way I look at it is ... why would Yamaha recommend 10w30 for temps ranging from 10 degrees F to over 90 F ???

I use 10w40 this time of year and in the winter I swap it out to something less than 10 just because it is easier on the engine for cold starting ....

Having said that, I suppose someone will concur with you and that is not to say that I disagree either.

I haven't made up my mind, that's why I started this post. The above response was simply the way it seems to me. I've been known to be wrong before, believe me. Thanks for the input.