IGNORED

Need some help engine missing

dkip

I have never had to remove the rear coils, so I cannot tell you specifics. Hopefully someone here will chime in. If not, I will take a look at it tomorrow and try to give you the details.

I would still urge you to try and get a good test by switching the coil wires. Only two possible results -

1. same cylinder stays cold, proving that problem is NOT the coil, or

2. other rear cylinder gets cold but original one fires well, proving that the problem IS the coil.

If you are sure you have a bad coil, I can send you one, but I have no idea what the cost of Canada shipping would be - within the U.S. it would just be $5.

Goose

Send it USPS and the cost is no more than double.... USPS has been the best way I have brought anything up from the US. List it as "bike parts" nothing else unless pressed.

:Venture: + :canada: = :mo money:

The problem cannot be the ignitor - the tests have shown that the ignitor trigger to either rear cylinder works fine when connected to a good coil.

Slight possibility that it is the plug cap since you did see a spark from the bare #1 coil wire. But I say "slight" since you thought that spark was weak and the spark from the #2 coil was strong. One easy test left to totally rule out the plug cap without an ohmmeter - just swap the plug caps on the coil wires. Whatever cylinder was cold should still be cold after the caps are swapped.

At this point, everything is pointing to a bad #1 coil. PM me with your address and I'll send you a coil (without cap) for $10

Goose

Thanks everybody for the help so far. It's looking like a coil problem.

I have an mechanic with a small shop near by who I have used before and he is willing to take a coil of a 2009 model and put it on mine and replace it with one from Yamaha when they get them in. I believe at this time it is my best option if I want to get riding again as soon as possible.

V7Goose thanks for the offer of a coil but if this works out I will not need it. If it doesn't go as planned I will get back to you.

This is a US bike so the warranty doesn't work up here

Again many thanks to everyone I'm always amazed at how helpful everyone on this site is.

Hopefully early next week I will be able to let you no that a coil fixed it

Dale