IGNORED

Possible Clutch slave leak

Think my clutch slave has a slow leak :(

02rsv I've had the bike since may and had to top the reservoir twice now. Actually found what I am pretty sure is brake fluid on the concrete under the bike this morning.

I access the forum with tapatalk with my Android. Someone mentioned the shop manual being on this site, anybody have a url for it.

And, does the clutch line travel under the engine, found a line with the leaking fluid on bottom side line.

I want to make sure its not just a slightly loose connection. Rebuilding hydraulic cylinders wasn't on my list of thing to do this summer.

Bob

Marshall, il

On the left side of the engine toward the rear there's a square rubber cover. Lift it and underneath is the slave bleeder valve. Check to see if it's tightened down snugly. You may also be able to peek in the opening to check for other leaks.

Just 3??? Went out and looked, I see the breeder bolt rubber cover top forward area of that, but I count 6 Allen heads? Maybe I abbreviated wrong with RSV, I have a 02 midnight venture.

Going to pull that cover off this evening regardless.

Bob

I just did mine.

I ordered a slave cylinder rebuild kit before I tore the old one down....the walls were scored, so I just ordered a whole new slave cylinder from Pinwall cycle on e-bay, cheap and fast.

The clutch line does run under the bike, and fluid will run down the line from the bleeder or the slave itself, so don't automatically assume the line leaks....don't ask me how I know this, but suffice it to say that there is also a new from Pinwall clutch line on the bike as well. And then I rebuilt the master cylinder too!

The rebuild is simple to do, really quite straight forward. After taking my old slave apart, it would be easy to do.

I still have the slave cylinder rebuild kit if you want it....I paid $17 plus shipping, it's yours for $12 plus shipping if you want it.

When you go to purge the air, reverse feed the brake fluid....you might as well change it all. Go to your local drug store, buy a rubber bulb type thing that has a variety of uses, perhaps cleaning one's ears.......make sure all your fittings are tight, I removed the cylinder fin which is only 3 allen head screws, removed the bleeder, and pumped the brake fluid up into the master....slowly...very slowly or it will squirt all over.......once again...don't ask me how I know this......if you have to refill the bulb, just stick your finger over the bleeder hole...once your master is full, replace the bleeder, do a conventional air bleed a couple of times, and you are good to go.

gunk:shock3:

Well there were more than 3 screws on that darn cover, but could see the slave with it off. Wished I had realized there wD some residual oil behind it though :(

Looks like it may be leaking just enough to coat. As tight as things are in there I M not sure I want to risk pulling it just to find out its messed up more than a rebuild and be down for a week waiting on parts.

I may just replace the whole slave, have to think about it, not losing enough fluid yet to be a hazard, topped it up last time about 6 weeks ago. Have to fix it though, can't have it bleeding.

Bob

Marshall, il

I may just replace the whole slave, have to think about it, not losing enough fluid yet to be a hazard, topped it up last time about 6 weeks ago. Have to fix it though, can't have it bleeding.

Bob

Marshall, il

I replace the slaves with new rather than rebuild.... It's a PITA getting the slave out... It may be easier on a 2ndGen??....and I didn't want to chance a rebuild and have to do it again. Beside the cost of a new slave isn't all that much in the scheme of things...

well after checking with the closest stealer/dealer and being told it would be 5 to 7 days for the parts I figured I would order online. I had hoped that maybe they would have a slave in stock.

I couldn't find the seller mentioned here on eBay and cheapest place google turned up was boats.net. seemed strange ordering mc parts from a boat place but price was 25 less than what the dealer quoted me and shipping was reasonable. supposed to ship Wednesday and hoping that the package arrives for the weekend. that way I can get the cussing out of the way before the labor day weekend.

bob

Woohoo, fedex showed up, didnt know i wss getting saturday delivery.

Took lessbthan 2 hours for xomplete operation and it also is also shifting much easier into neutral, going to take it foe a test ride. And yes theu did make getting that slave in and out quite interesting.

Glad i went wih new cylinder.

Bob

Marshall, il