IGNORED

Looking at HD's

newventure

Ride what you like and can justify paying for....most bikes are just toys....HD's are good bikes that hold their value and are fun to ride....they have tweaked the v-twin about as far as they can, hence the heat and typical top end rebuild around 100K....it is a fun bike to farkle as the list of available stuff never ends...I have a used RSV and it does everything a harley does and more, for alot less $$....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, for the support, when I originally posted this subject a few weeks ago I got flamed by a few on here and thats ok, everyone has their own opinion. I like the venture and always will, but it just wasn't the bike for me, couldn't get secure and comfortable with it and then adding a passenger and other gear to go on a trip just made it even more uncomfortable, don't feel that on the Harley. I agree with some on here ride what you like. Doesn't matter what it is as long as you ride. Well enough for now, headed off to work...

Thanks, for the support, when I originally posted this subject a few weeks ago I got flamed by a few on here and thats ok, everyone has their own opinion. I like the venture and always will, but it just wasn't the bike for me, couldn't get secure and comfortable with it and then adding a passenger and other gear to go on a trip just made it even more uncomfortable, don't feel that on the Harley. I agree with some on here ride what you like. Doesn't matter what it is as long as you ride. Well enough for now, headed off to work...

Congratulations on the new scooter. I know you'll love your HD. And don't worry bout those that will ridicule you for what your ride is, they're everywhere. I get bashed all the time.... and you know the ole sayin.

As an owner of both, I can honestly say that we have had very few problems with the HD Softail. We did proactively change out the cams and lifters at 48,000 miles, given the reported issues with the cam chain rollers wearing out and breaking apart at the 50k mark, causing massive internal engine damage. Glad we did, as the rollers were pretty chewed up. I looked at it as an investment in keeping this beauty going for another 100K miles at least. Cost about $1,100 for everything, and now we basically have the same engine as an '07 (hydraulic everything) in the '03 anniversary edition. And the low end torque is now phenomenal!

However......having said all of that, I am more than reluctant to switch from the RSV to the Ultra anytime soon. F.I. would be great to have, but a water cooled V-4 is a much more viable option for me here in the hot south then the air cooled alternative on such a large bike. The RSV gets the longer rides more than the softail, which is basically a bar-hopper, so having a cooler running engine makes more sense to me. If I were to invest in a new touring scoot, I'd give the Kawi Voyager a serious look before I would an Ultra. Water cooled, fuel injected, cruise, and all of the other creature comforts that are important to me.

I've checked out the Kawi Voyager a couple of times and it a beautiful bike and I really like the engine. However, when you start checking out the plastic it doesn't hold a candle to the Harley. The trunk and bag lids actually feel a bit more flimsy than the ones on my RSV. That's one thing I have never been happy with on the Yamahas. That Kawi is a dang good looking bike, though.