IGNORED

Stock shock verses Works for Second Gen

My 2005 RSTD Rear Shock is toast, and of course is out of warranty. The thought of having a works shock that can be rebuilt makes a lot of sense to me. My question is: Is there any of us second geners that switched from the stock that are sorry they gave up the air adjustable functionality of the stock shock? Also, does anyone know about how long a Works shock lasts before needing a rebuild? I also have noticed a wide variance of how long the stock shocks are lasting for different people. My RSTD has 13,000 miles on it. Has Yamaha corrected the problem with the replacement shocks? The guy at Works asked me if I pull a trailer. I currently do not and don't think that I will, but I did not think that I would have added a Venture trunk either, but I just did. If I add a trailer later, is this something that I can adjust for on the Works shock, or do i have to start over form the design process? Has any of us had any experience with this dilemma, or had the same questions and gotten answers?

I have the Works shock on mine after going through two OEM shocks, the last one failing just a year after installing it, and just out of warranty time on the bike. The Works shock works great for me, and though you lose the 'air adjust' of the OEM shock, the Works shock is pre-load adjustable and rebound adjustable. Because the preload adjustment is harder to set on the shock, I think they ask you these various questions before hand as they will adjust the shock as close to what should be a proper preload (tension on the main spring) but you still have to do the pre-sag test and final adjustment on your own after you install it and set it up.

I personally like a stiffer suspension ride and the Works shock is adjustable enough to give that for my tastes..

My 2005 RSTD Rear Shock is toast, and of course is out of warranty. The thought of having a works shock that can be rebuilt makes a lot of sense to me. My question is: Is there any of us second geners that switched from the stock that are sorry they gave up the air adjustable functionality of the stock shock?

There's a new WORKS shock listed on Ebay right now. It's a buy it now at retail so I think they are just using Ebay for cheap advertising exposure. My question would be... Since the shock is set up for the riders weight, what happens when riding 2 up. Seems to me that the shock is more suitable for a dual set up where it's accessable to adjust. Once it's installed on a 2ndGen it would be a PITA getting to it. Plus the price is way too much. I've seen mention of aftermarket 2ndGen shocks for much less.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I had typically ran about 45-50 lbs of air in my stock shock regardless of riding one or two up. The only thing that would cause me to put more air in it is if I loaded the bike up with luggage or decided to pull a trailer some day. I don't mind paying more for a works shock if it is going to last and not need rebuilding every time I turn around, which is why I am asking if people can share their experience with the works shock as far as how often they had to rebuild it and how they liked it compared to the original. Just tying to capitalize on the abundance of experience many of you have in order to make an informed decision.

There's a new WORKS shock listed on Ebay right now. It's a buy it now at retail so I think they are just using Ebay for cheap advertising exposure. My question would be... Since the shock is set up for the riders weight, what happens when riding 2 up. Seems to me that the shock is more suitable for a dual set up where it's accessable to adjust. Once it's installed on a 2ndGen it would be a PITA getting to it. Plus the price is way too much. I've seen mention of aftermarket 2ndGen shocks for much less.

Yes, new or used 2nd gen oem shocks are much cheaper than a Works shock, no doubt.. But when they fail at the rate they do, you're hedging your bets that you'll only ever have to buy the ONE Works shock and if that ever dies, it can be rebuilt.. I felt so ripped off when the second OEM shock I had installed on my bike died less than a year after it was installed, and just out of warranty period.. Instead of wasting my money on JUNK, I preferred to purchase something that is rebuildable and adjustable..

The preload is indeed a PITA to adjust once the shock is installed but with a little forthought you can easily adjust it in a matter of minutes without having to remove the shock..