IGNORED

Anyone rebuilt a clutch master cylinder?

gunkylump

I haven't done a Royal Star, but they're all pretty much the same. Hardest thing to do is get that snap ring out of the deep hole around the plunger, not many snap ring pliers will get in there. I usually just grab one ear with a long narrow probe and kind of work it out.

Going back in you can start it with snap ring pliers - then push it into place with a small screwdriver.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Make sure everything is clean and soaked with new brake fluid before assembly (except the dust boot). Put parts back in the same order they came out.

Thanks Carl, I appreciate the response, great advice! I have to prep the 96 for my "final ride" up to Blind River, ON. Already replaced the slave cylinder, clutch hose/line, and now the master cylinder rebuild. Sold it to a buddy of mine, and I'm taking his Bayfield 29 sailboat...or he's taking my royal star as partial payment.

I don't think I've put 600 k's on the Venture so far this year....it's up on Kijiiji with everything including the gps, but no serious offers as yet. I think I'll probably have to sit on it over the winter and it will go in the spring.

Beth and I will sail the new to us boat down here to Amherstburg from Blind River next year, which is quite exciting. A whole new "venture" for the two of us.

Once again, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Ride safe!

gunk:shock3:

Yammer!

How the heck you been my pot stirrin' friend? All quiet on the "southern" front? LOL!

I've been busy as heck at work, today is day 17 of 19 consecutive shifts, with a few 12 hour shifts thrown in just to really screw me up.

All is well here, Beth is doing well, the old 96 is sold as you probably saw posted above, the Venture is taking a bit to move.

We've bought a new to us boat, should be interesting to say the least. Big change for me, bought my first bike when I was 12 or 14...lol..can't remember, too long ago. We are "prepping" for retirement with this boat, and if Beth can handle the "motion of the ocean", we'll be selling it in a few years, getting our larger boat...and when retirement finally hits....8 to 10 years for me to go...then we head south..no more winters....snow...cold...freezing rain...you know exactly what I'm saying! Tired of the dang cold.

Beth and I both really missed MD at Don's this year....all our friends were there...and we weren't. We're going to work on that next year, even though we'll probably have to take a car to get there...I hope...sort of...if the Venture sells...lol!

Thanks for reaching out my friend...once this work schedule settles down a wee bit, I'll be back on this forum to keep track of all you guys!

I haven't done a Royal Star, but they're all pretty much the same. Hardest thing to do is get that snap ring out of the deep hole around the plunger, not many snap ring pliers will get in there. I usually just grab one ear with a long narrow probe and kind of work it out.

Going back in you can start it with snap ring pliers - then push it into place with a small screwdriver.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Make sure everything is clean and soaked with new brake fluid before assembly (except the dust boot). Put parts back in the same order they came out.

I went down and bought a set of small needle nosed pliers from Harbor Frieght... around $5 bucks. Then notched the straight needle on the tips to work on that clip. It also helps to press the piston shaft down and stick a small pin into the supply hole to hold it. Gives a lot more room to work. Attached are some pics of the pliers and tips.

Roflmao! Well put Carl, wouldn't we make a cute couple? Beth used a betahistamine that she got from the doc, and she gets sick on a swing. It worked great!

When we get the boat down here...and I get a day off, I'll call you to get you out for a cruise....but I'll make sure that Beth is there too

Hey, my son and I installed the rebuild kit on the master cylinder....I also replaced the clutch line and the slave cylinder. We attempted to bleed it, again, and again, and again...so for now I've left the cover off the master, and tie wrapped the clutch lever to the handlebar...I hope that it bleeds itself overnight. We're going to attack it again tomorrow and see how we make it. Got lots of fluid from the bleeder, but no pressure in the lever as yet.

I may be back for more advice.........

Oh, and the sailboat is a 1986 Bayfield 29...easy to google if you'd like to see what she looks like.

randy:shock3:

Hey Randy,

One other thing to add, DON'T Hone the bore!

Good luck with the new sail boat, I did quite a bit of sailing in a past life, excellent hobby.:thumbsup2:

Earl

No honing for sure....would kind of kill the tolerance....and my tolerance too!

I went down and bought a set of small needle nosed pliers from Harbor Frieght... around $5 bucks. Then notched the straight needle on the tips to work on that clip. It also helps to press the piston shaft down and stick a small pin into the supply hole to hold it. Gives a lot more room to work. Attached are some pics of the pliers and tips.

Thanks for the tip Condor.....we got 'er done...now to bleed the old gal! A whole new story....

gunk:shock3::shock3::shock3::shock3:

Tying it in to the bar overnight usually works great on a stubborn one!! What kind of secrets you got out there Jack???:think:

Sent you a PM Dan. Not much of a secret. I've posted it on the site before, but it seems no one pays any attention, and insist they know better?? Now I just PM those who are having problems, and it seems to work out better.

When I do anything with the clutch I'll tie it down first night just to make sure.

Did you know that if you tie the lever all the way to the grip it's vertually impossible for any air to excape into the reserve as the piston cup even seals off the expansion hole. It would actually work better if the lever were left alone, and the air could at least get to the expansion hole.... It also helps to have the wheel turned hard right.... :2cents: