IGNORED

Looking for Info. Old Yammy 400. diving issues

tony h

Ok, I know this isn't a Venture but you all have played with other bikes in your days I'm guessing.

I bought a '78 Yamaha 400 for $1. yup, ONE DOLLAR

Got it running a few months ago and it is just the perfect Learner bike.

Anyway the one issue that bothers me is the way this thing dives at the touch of the Front brake.

I have already drained and filled the forks with 10-30 motor oil as recommended in the manual. Still dives.

At that time I was surprised to find that the Springs pop out of the upper fork by about 1" telling me that they are not 'tired'. ( the bike has 8K miles on it.) So, any suggestions? I was thinking of preloading the springs with some PVC but I'm not sure I would be able to push it all down into the fork to get the Snap ring back in place that holds the whole mess together. Is this just the nature of these good ole' bikes?

• 4 months later...

Wow, a bike for dollar. Hard to know about this. Memory of my 250's and 350's was they were a little soft and did do the dive thing under braking. These were before anti dives came out. In an effort to firm up the front end I have washers in one of my Ventures on top of the stock spring which measures out to spec, but then you have the issue of getting the caps back on. I am currently experimenting with a couple of extra ounces of fork oil (15wt) in each fork, less compressability the more oil, but less fork action. Worry about the seals taking the added pressure, but for the past 800 miles it has improved the stability. I think I would first confirm the springs are up to the task though, they could have lost their tension. Hope this helps.