Hi ...

I have my collector box off. Contrary to popular wisdom, removing it was quite quick and easy, no doubt helped by one of the front header stubs being completely fractured.

I thought the collector had the infamous rattle, but apparently not, when I shake it, it's silent.

So ... I need to get the stub weded back on, and a couple of small cracks closed up, which will be easy enough.

My question is about gaskets.

There are six, and they are expensive. There are two part numbers 3JJ-14653 and 3JJ-14623.

Boats.net lists them separately at $15.72 and $25.85 respectively.

Cheapcycleparts.com also lists them, but has replaced the 14623 part number with 14653. This is a significant bonus, if their substitution works.

Does anyone know, and can confirm, that these two part numbers can be substituted, or not?

Thanks

Hi ...

I have my collector box off. Contrary to popular wisdom, removing it was quite quick and easy, no doubt helped by one of the front header stubs being completely fractured.

I thought the collector had the infamous rattle, but apparently not, when I shake it, it's silent.

So ... I need to get the stub weded back on, and a couple of small cracks closed up, which will be easy enough.

My question is about gaskets.

There are six, and they are expensive. There are two part numbers 3JJ-14653 and 3JJ-14623.

Boats.net lists them separately at $15.72 and $25.85 respectively.

Cheapcycleparts.com also lists them, but has replaced the 14623 part number with 14653. This is a significant bonus, if their substitution works.

Does anyone know, and can confirm, that these two part numbers can be substituted, or not?

Thanks

I remember some people using copper electrical wire as the gaskets. Maybe someone whose done that will answer how to do that.

I remember some people using copper electrical wire as the gaskets. Maybe someone whose done that will answer how to do that.

That is a very smart, and CBMMA approved idea.

Wind 12 Gauge copper around the pipe to the correct thickness .... Heat it to cherry red then quench to soften the copper. A bit of aluminum tape to hold it together for assembly and presto!

See ... give me an idea and I have a "process".

Thank you :)

OK....I'll bite....what is CBMMA?

"Cheap Bastards Motorcycle Mechanics Association"

There is progress.

I just decided to cut off both the inlets for the front downtubes, and a local engineering company made me new ones from pipe stock. They are sized to weld directly to the inlet holes of the collector, and receive the exhaust gaskets at the open end. Now they just need slotting and welding on.

Bear with me there will be pictures.

By the way, they guy made me three a=in case we messed one up, and charged me $5 for the lot.

Pictures being worth a thousand words:

First is the collector with the new stubs welded on, and the second shows that I did check the internal baffle. All was solid in there, so it's welded back up and left alone.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0647.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0648.jpg

Hopefully it's good for a few more years now.