IGNORED

Spark Plugs and Oil? for 08 Venture

Just moved up to 08 Venture from V Star 1300, Like moving from a Chevy to a Cadillac. Just wondered if you need to remove riders seat and gas tank to change spark plugs? If removing tank is it a easy procedure? On oil change any alternative to the expensive Yamalube? Like the Venture, took a while to adjust to the additional weight and winding shaft noise but overall happy. I know we are having a hot summer especially in the midwest but it seems this bike puts lots of heat out by the floorboards compared to other bikes. Thanks for any help and happy trails.

Just moved up to 08 Venture from V Star 1300, Like moving from a Chevy to a Cadillac. Just wondered if you need to remove riders seat and gas tank to change spark plugs? If removing tank is it a easy procedure? On oil change any alternative to the expensive Yamalube? Like the Venture, took a while to adjust to the additional weight and winding shaft noise but overall happy. I know we are having a hot summer especially in the midwest but it seems this bike puts lots of heat out by the floorboards compared to other bikes. Thanks for any help and happy trails.

First from what I have found here, you must remove the tank and the dogbones. Change plugs every 25,000 or so and use the factory plugs. I just did a search for the plug change. As for the oil, some use different oil, but be very careful here as to your clutch and all work in this same oil. So for me, I am going to stick to the OEM oil 20w50 I believe it is. There are several good technical library articles and pictures for removing the tank for other things. If you do the plug change, you could add pictures and do an article yourself pertaining to changing the plugs. I can not find one here yet. I thought about this myself, but after looking at the change miles, I have 13,500 on my bike, but it is a 2007 model. So I might wait until this winter, the bike is running wonderful for me. I use a little (1 oz) Seafoam in the fuel at every full up and so far so good. If you do not ride every other day or so, I would highly recommend the Seafoam.

Fuzzy

PS; I also noticed you just joined, so welcome, and check out the Technical Library here. Others will help you out also. Some are busy out riding to and from Cody and so forth.

Yes the seat and tank have to come off, but that is not a big deal!

I my miss something, but some of the more experienced folks will jump in...

1. remove the driver's seat by using a 10mm socket to remove the two nuts(if they are even there) on either side of the front of the seat. the seat lifts up from the front. There is a tab in the rear.

2. once the seat is off you will see a bolt at the rear of the tank that takes a 12mm socket to remove. This is one of only 3 fasteners holding the tank. Remove it. The other two fasteners are on either side under the front of the tank, by the steering head. There may be black rubber covers over them. If the PO has not replaced them with hex head cap screws, a good idea, it will take a 5mm(I think) Allen wrench. Be Very careful removing them as they are soft easily stripped with the Allen wrench. Remove both of them.

3. Remove the two socket head bolts holding the dress up cover around the gas cap. Once they are removed, lift the cover and pull back on it. There is a pin on the front of the cover which is held in by a rubber grommet.

4. Once the cover is removed, disconnect the electrical connector and the vent tube

5. Under the left center of the tank, turn the fuel selector to OFF and then disconnect the fuel line. Expect a small amount of gas to run out!

6. If I haven't missed anything, lift the tank off the bike. Oh you did run it low on gas didn't you? :confused24:

Yeah 6 gallons of gas is heavy!!!:cool10:

Install it in reverse order...

Have fun!!!:)

You'll notice the heat more on a bike like the Venture because of the faring. On top of that, it is a tall faring as farings go. Most people have to look thru the windscreen rather than over it. That means in slower traffic, and a hot motor under you, there is a large body of dead, hot air in the cockpit, and you will swelter in it.

Any quality oil will work fine. Best to use a motorcycle-specific oil, like Yamalube or Mobil 1. There are some quality non-synthetics available, too. Because oil formulations have changed for car engines, car oils are no longer suitable for motorcycle engines that have unit transmissions, like the Venture. Biggest risk is clutch slippage.