IGNORED

France and Belgium 2011

cakeman

Managed to get a short 4 day break recently to France and Belgium. The better half and myself decided to try and track down the grave of my great uncle Thomas who was killed at the Battle of Paschendale in 1917 whilst serving with the Grenadier Guards. We tracked his grave down to a small community cemetry in Wimeraux near Calais, it turned out that he had been wounded at Paschendale and died a few days later of his injuries at the military hospital in Wimeraux. It's a beautiful cemetary overlooking the coast, it's also the same place where John McRea is buried who wrote "In Flanders Fields". Anyway here's a few pictures from the trip and one of me signing the memorial book...... Incredibly moving experience.

The final picture is of Carole having a quick nap while we waited for our friends to recover 200 euros from the motorway in France after it had flown out the tankbag of his TDM900 at 80 mph, still can't believe he actually found it..... here's afew more pictures from around France and Bruges.