IGNORED

91 final drive or equivelant

well it apears that the final drive on my 91 vr is giving up its innards. Its making the dreaded howl when you let off the throttle. Kinda sounds like a dump trunk thats using the engine as a break.

Does anybody have one that will fit they are willing to let go of. I have already talked to muffinman as to weather or not its the final or something else. I had the rear end and axle and drive shaft greased at the dealor and it didnt help. They even agreed that it was the final but no way Im paying $1500 for them to rebuild it..

anyways any help will be apreciated. Even if its ideas to check instead of replacement. Im even thinking of pulling the rear tire myself to regrease it . I have no idea what Im doing but Im sure with the help of this site and great members I can figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

David

EBAY...sometimes you find LOW mileage units from 86-93...I did for less than $100. I don't like using the Vmax or FJR rear drives. Just sucks gas. At least one person installed a RS Venture rear...But he said there is a slight offset...to the left I think. I suggest being patient on Ebay. I think you may be able to buy for about $1100 - $1200 new if available. Also what's the mileage on the original ?

I have a 2nd gen final in my 89. Yes, it does shift the tire slightly to the left. I've yet to take it back out and figure out why. You do have to close off the hole for the speedometer pick up (or leave a pick up in there).

In my case the pinion shaft had broken. There is no rebuilding that, Yamaha doesn't sell the parts separately. You have to replace the whole drive. The price the dealer gave you sounds like a full replacement unit (Cycle Parts Nation currently lists it at $1041.04). Labor to install one is not a lot.

You should make sure it's the final drive before replacing it - I suspect a problem at the middle gear makes a similar sound. If the pinion shaft is broken it's easy to diagnose: Just pull the final drive and see if the drive shaft coupler will pull out of the final. If it does it's broken.

I had same noise. Broken pinion shaft. Don't shy away from a vmax rear. I and several others saw no increase in fuel consumption and it makes the bike much snapping. Also plenty of vmax rears out there. 85 up 1200 vmax will all work.

Hey David,

I have an MKII Final Drive from a 29,xxx mile bike. Direct bolt on unit, position of rear wheel will not change. If you are interested, PM me. :thumbsup2:

Earl[/QUOPm sent ...hope I can get this started soon as it may take me a year or 2 to figure out how to replace once I buy one.

David

well it apears that the final drive on my 91 vr is giving up its innards. Its making the dreaded howl when you let off the throttle. Kinda sounds like a dump trunk thats using the engine as a break.

Does anybody have one that will fit they are willing to let go of. I have already talked to muffinman as to weather or not its the final or something else. I had the rear end and axle and drive shaft greased at the dealor and it didnt help. They even agreed that it was the final but no way Im paying $1500 for them to rebuild it..

anyways any help will be apreciated. Even if its ideas to check instead of replacement. Im even thinking of pulling the rear tire myself to regrease it . I have no idea what Im doing but Im sure with the help of this site and great members I can figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

David

I have had my '87 since '89....mine has always made a mild whine when letting off the gas. I suspect what you are hearing is NOT mild.

I had same noise. Broken pinion shaft. Don't shy away from a vmax rear. I and several others saw no increase in fuel consumption and it makes the bike much snapping. Also plenty of vmax rears out there. 85 up 1200 vmax will all work.

If you drive hi-way at the speeds I do...your mileage would go down. Also in very hot weather the bike will run hotter....especially on the interstate. I don't like comprimise...

Hey David,

I have an MKII Final Drive from a 29,xxx mile bike. Direct bolt on unit, position of rear wheel will not change. If you are interested, PM me. :thumbsup2:

Earl[/QUOPm sent ...hope I can get this started soon as it may take me a year or 2 to figure out how to replace once I buy one.

David

MKII ...you mean 86-93...yes...?

I have had my '87 since '89....mine has always made a mild whine when letting off the gas. I suspect what you are hearing is NOT mild.

nope what Im hearing is not mild. It was mild when I bought the bike 20,000 miles ago. Now its getting loud er as time goes on.

David

Not shying away from the vmax for fuel reasons. The gear ratio woiuld raise my rpms to an uexceptable range for me. Not saying its bad but a lot of times with the group I ride with its 75-80 mph. At that speed Im already in the 4500 rpm range and from what I understand the vmax rear will raise the rpms aproximately 500 -600. So I would be at 5000-5100 at those speeds and I know the motor will handle it but jsut not willing to push a 20 yr motor that hard for hrs at a time>

David