IGNORED

stator / battery upgrade

hi all

i have spent the last couple of hours looking thru the 2nd tech for stator/battery upgrade info. i have a 99 rsv with over 41,000 miles on it. i bought it ( aug'06 ) from a used m/c shop with just over 21,000 miles on it. have not had any trouble with electrical system so far. but the stator/battery are the same ones that came with the bike.

i will be riding to the 08 international venturerider rally in kitchener,ont,ca. i will be pulling a trailer w/all the camping stuff. i have replaced all the lights on the trailer w/led's to reduce the electrical load on the bike. my question is should i replace the stator with the upgraded one from buckeye performance? and is the odyssey pc545 the right battery for the 2'nd gen? i have read commits about the odyssey pc680 but i think it's for the 1'st gen bikes. i'll replace the battery now but rather not replace the stator on the side of the road somewhere, if you all think i should replace it now. while we're having a cool spell here in texas.

thanks in advance

don

Not correct. The pc545 is the battery for the 2nd Gens. You will need to put a small 1/2 in spacer under it if you want it to sit as high but it is the 545 you are looking for. As for the stator you should have no trouble with it. It does lack a little in output with about 35 Amp output but is not prone to failing. There are a few experimenting with higher output stators some with success so far and some with really bad results. Rick H from Buckeye Performance says they have developed a good higher output stator and is still testing it. Squidley sent his to electrosport last year to be used as a core for developing one. He got his back and had nothing but trouble ending with having to rewire nearly the entire circuit. From that point we all need real convincing as we are not sure its worth the risk. You should be fine with the trailer as long as you arent hanging a million lights on it and using heated clothing. Change to LEDs if you can as that will save you good power.

I have had several stators fail on bikes through the years and for me it doesn't seem to be to much load on the system. I have never had a real lot of lights and I don't use the heated clothing.

It's one of those things that is prone to failure, maybe once in 100,000 miles. It's not something I would change if it were still working okay.

If you have to do it along side the road the biggest issue would be finding a new one, changing it is not an issue.

To tell you the truth the battery is way past it's useful life but I wouldn't change it either until it fails. But that's me. At least the battery is available in a lot of places.

Jerry

.......... Rick @ Buckeye has begun selling the upgraded Stator (comes with the gaskets) with the only suggestion being to clip out the inline plastic Stator connector and soldering/hardwiring the leads. This is the same problem the old GL1200 GoldWings had -------- and still have. Hardwire the 3 leads and the potential trouble spot is gone. There are no other issues to deal with and the oem Voltage Regulator/Rectifier has been functioning with absolutely no problems. Rick is now satisfied that the R&D aspect has gone well and that the product is ready for the market. These are new Stators ............ not re-winds.

I recently purchased one and am awaiting its arrival for install over the winter as part of my off-season maintenance.