IGNORED

Trailer Modification

CaptainJoe

Modifying my Harbor Freight (HF) trailer to haul the Rsv to the Cody rally.

I have been using it to haul my Seadoo RXP back and forth to the river since 2005 and at 900 lb. its never been a problem.

Made a rack for it that is bolted to the top of the trailer.

Attempted to put the axle above the springs but changed my mind when i saw a place on the frame that had the paint knocked off due to a hard hit(pothole). So I put axle back under springs. Was worth while as i tore everything apart cleaned and repacked wheel bearings and used marine grade grease.

The mods made are:

1. Installing pressure treated 2x4 cut down "in" the last rear portion of the frame

2. 1 piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood.(OVER EXISTING 1/16 DIAMOND steel)

** 1&2 were done as i worried about all of the pressure the wheels would put at just one point on trialer **

3. Getting rid of the old ratching winch and replacing with a HF remote control 3000 lb. electric winch with a marine battery and box.

4. Installing a motorcycle front wheel chock from HF.

5. Installing a spare tire holder from HF.

6. need to find a +5 rise 1 1/4" hitch bar so the Toyota Corolla 11" top of receiver will yeild a level trailer 16" at tongue.

Well no#6 isn't gonna work so...

Purchased a 1 1/4" class one reese hitch bar 3.125 riser.

Purchased the longest shaft 2" ball they had.

So now i have a 4.125 or 4 1/8" rise.

Still need around +3 inches as the reciever on the car is 11" and the reciever on the level trailer is 17 1/2 .

Goiing to drop main support below front of trailer to gain the 3" and extend it a couple of feet so i can attach to the middle of the trailer.

Doing this by the way to have a cheap way to haul the RSV...

Yeah yeah yeah i know i know i know.... I've got a 5' x 16' VNOSE trailer that would work just fine but....

1800 mi

x 10 mi to the gallon 3/4 ton pickup and trailer and bike.

=180 gallon gas

x3.70(if I'm lucky)

=666 ------------------ No I infatically deny I made this number up ---------------------

x 2 ( i gotta come home)

$1332

The toyota corolla gets 35 MPG so maybe 25 mpg. hauling the bike so $532.8

Just a PIA because the corollas hitch is 11"

Im suprised your not taking it on a ship and heading up the Mississippi river with it..

Ride to Cody then back to the ship and down the Mississippi you go back home..ha

Oh, and by now you know the rules... pics...got to have pics of this creation you are making.

Good luck my friend.

ok this may or may not work and how safe it may be I dont know either. I was at harbor frieght today and seen two pieces that may do the job for you. They had an adaptor that turned the 1 1/4 into a 2 inch reece set up/ Then they had a 2 inch shaft that was adjustable from -9 inches to + 10 or so inches. I have the hitch shaft that is adjustable and I pull trailer with 4 wheeler on it just fine behind my van. Again not sure of safety or weather it would work but its an idea.

David

"ok this may or may not work and how safe it may be I dont know either. I was at harbor frieght today and seen two pieces that may do the job for you. They had an adaptor that turned the 1 1/4 into a 2 inch reece set up/ Then they had a 2 inch shaft that was adjustable from -9 inches to + 10 or so inches. I have the hitch shaft that is adjustable and I pull trailer with 4 wheeler on it just fine behind my van. Again not sure of safety or weather it would work but its an idea."

It would have worked "if" there was enough clearance between the top of the Uhaul hitch on the car and the rear bumper. There might be 1/2" above the bar? With all the equiptment around here and as much hauling I do there is no lack of 2" adjustable towing bars around.

Thanks for the though though.

A 6 1/2 " bar hitch riser would be the ticket ... but it seems no one makes them. 3 1/8" rise on a 1 1/4 shank is max for the Toyota Corolla... Oh, let me add that that hitch thats bolted to the car is 11"high and about 6" away from the outside of it's rear bumper... The way their designing these cars nowadays is not with towing considerations in mind...:bang head:

The toyota corolla gets 35 MPG so maybe 25 mpg. hauling the bike so $532.8

Just a PIA because the corollas hitch is 11"

Went through that in '09 Joe. Trailered the '83 to Cody. :mo money: I'm riding this year....

2 days to go......:thumbsup2:

Just another idea , get you some 1 1/4 square tube to fit the hitch and make your own . just a thought . I sure a shop would drill the hole for the ball and bend the plate at the angle neede . They might even weld it up for you if you don't have access to a welder . I made one for mine when I couldn't find what I needed . Just a trhought if you have time !:lightbulb:

Man this heat is killing me... Been working on this trailer since noon. 6 1/2 hours bout have it back together again.

Condor It"s my own fault... procastenated getting car Tire put on rear and when that didn't pan out I Was out of time. Gonna order a E3 for the rear when I get back. Already got the new front E3.

Hunthomer66 thought of that but the way everyone is so sue happy i decided to buy store bought... REEESE! Actually I've got everything I need to make one cept for the solid square 1 1/4... also a concern for hardnening?

Utahadventure I know....LOL... Its just that the tires only have about 2000 miles left on them or less. Im gonna finnish them off in Wyoming! :whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

Does that Toyota Corolla have an automatic or stick?

If its a stick, and especially if its an auto, you better figure on running it in 4th or whatever gear is NOT overdrive. Those things werent designed to haul a 1500-2000 pound trailer up and down hills and grades, and if the trailer does NOT have brakes, be careful on the downgrades.

So this means your travel speeds will be less, and maybe some added transmission wear and tear...

"If its a stick, and especially if its an auto, you better figure on running it in 4th or whatever gear is NOT overdrive. Those things werent designed to haul a 1500-2000 pound trailer up and down hills and grades, and if the trailer does NOT have brakes, be careful on the downgrades. "

Yup...

kinda concerns me also.

Plan B is to fix the clutch in the 650 Vstar and trailer it out.

Would save 500 lbs or so.

Haven't tore side cover off, am hoping steel plates aren't fried...

I've got the springs and friction plates on my workbench...

we'll see after a trial run....

the other plan C would be to mount my front E3 and order another from jake wilson and have it sent to Cody. That way I could ride my venture out... Wonder how much they would charge me to mount it? Hummmm :Venture:

Will have to wait till they open this morning.... I believe it was mountain valley motorsports...

Edited by CaptainJoe