Hey guys,

I think the starter is not dis-engaging after a start on my '83 Venture Royale. I have been tuning and balancing and have not yet had her on the road. While shutting it down just now I could hear the starter wind down, the engine had been running for about 5 minutes. Upon trying to start it again the starter is sluggish on a fully charged battery.

Am I looking at replacing the starter? Or is there a repair that can be made?

I should say that I am just trying to get this thing in good enough condition to ride to the shop where I plan to have them do the rest of the work. I am fighting the clock for a ride next month, and I am in a little over my head with this.

Thanks for any insight.

Thank you, I will do that right now. If the switch was sticking, wouldn't the starter try to spin right when the key was turned on? My bike has no clutch safety switch.

It could, but it may also be slowly vibrating out and take some time to clear. If you ride it with starter engaged, the starter will be destroyed. Bearings can not take the stress. It might also be the starter engagement clutch and rollers behind the flywheel is not releasing right. Haven't had this issue, but I remember some related posts about it.

Gary