Hi folks, I've been tracking a charging problem on my machine and using the electrosport troubleshooter I believe I have the problem identified. As I see it, the brown wire on the R/R is an input to the unit and should supply system voltage to the R/R. It reads low on mine at the connector nearest the R/R. In my belief, connectors, then switches are more likely than wire to create voltage drops. The connector nearest the R/R checks OK in that voltage is the same on both sides (LOW). Where else should I look / test? Other connectors in the signal circuit to the R/R? How do I test out the ign switch?

The other fix could be a later R/R with an internal sensing that would not rely on the brown wire to monitor voltage. I believe the Shindengen unit is like this.

What is the list wisdom on this. The Electrosport guide indicates this is the hardest fault to find and, honestly, I need a hand. Everything I wrote above could be wrong, I'm building my Venture charging knowledge up even as I post this.

Thanks in advance!

I can't help you with the details of testing as my friends call me "Sparky". No real skills with the electric stuff. But I follow directions well and these guys got me though my R/R problems. Several time! LOL!

I had my original OEM R/R fail and replaced it with an aftermarket unit. It only had 4 wires and that eliminated the brown wire. I understand it is not much more than a sensor feed for the R/R. No real needed purposed for it. I made a bad choice on the mounting position on the new R/R and baked it on the pipes. Skydoc_17 provided a used OEM R/R to install and that worked fine and I did not use the brown wire at all. No issue.

I found a Shindengen and installed it this year creating a seperate harness for the R/R. stator, battery, fuse and digital voltmeter. All existing wires were capped off and bypassed this way.

That method does eliminate any possiblity of having any issue with a bad connector, a poor connection somewhere in the OEM loom or wires added by a PO. The readings are rock solid now with no ramping on the meter.

So that's my story. If you can get a Shindengen unit .... go for it. Best thing out here as far as my opinion.

Wire it seperate and you should have no other issues if the stator and battery are in good shape.

Mike

About 1988 the Venture revised the R&R, thus eliminating the need for the brown (regulating) wire. On the ones before that, the brown wire came from the ignition switch, returning "line" voltage to the regulator, if the "line" was low, the regulator allowed all available voltage to flow, when the regulating "feedback" reached about 14.5 volts, the regulator clamped any further voltage increase, shunting the remaining to ground.

Although connections (mate between male and female pins) is highly suspect on older machines, please don't discount or overlook the crimp on each pin as well. Although a mechanical connection is not superior to a fully soldered one, they can be maintained and serve well.

My experience has shown that the higher failure at connections was when the female's clamping tension is reduced from repeated disconnects or just plain fatigue, often cured by simply increasing the clamping force and a good electrical cleaning.

The service manual steps you through testing the rectifier diodes but leaves nothing for the regulator section. If you have a significant voltage difference between the red wires coming out and the brown wire returning, you DO have connection problems.