IGNORED

New Helmet Review - Nolan N103

V7Goose

I am partial to flip front helmets, and I have been using Nolan helmets for a number of years and 100,000 miles, first the N100E, then the N102. I just recently purchased an N103, and if you have either the N100 or N102, you REALLY need to try the N103, it is a great improvement! Combined with the J&M 584 or 629 headset, this thing is fantastic.

I really liked my N102 with the integrated headset and extra sun shade that flipped down over the normal shield, but the N103 is WAY more comfortable, and the new internal sun shade is fantastically better than the old external one. I didn't use the dark flip-down sun shade on the N102 very much because the dark top half and light bottom half of the sight pattern was very distracting. With the new internal sun shade on the N103, it works much more like a military flight helmet with a sun shade that covers your eyes like a pair of sunglasses. This give you the darker shield when you want it, and without the distracting dark/light split. And with the choice of also wearing regular sunglasses at the same time, you can easily select four or five different levels of darkness to match whatever conditions you are in without having to stop and change the face shield on the helmet - very flexible and convenient. And if you do want to change the main shield for any reason, it is now one of the easiest ones to change that I have ever used - another great improvement.

Nolan was the first company to offer a helmet with an integrated headset capability and the extra dark sun shade, but now lots of others have copied them. Nolan sells their own n-com headset and bluetooth system, but I have never tried them. I buy the J&M unit that is made specifically to fit just like the n-com does. I thought it was nice in the N102, but the updated system in the N103 is way better still. The mounting of the speakers is really slick recessed into the inner liner and behind the screen in the ear piece.

Finally, I am very pleased to note that the vents on the N103 work much better than they did on either the N100 or N102. They look pretty much the same in location and size, but I could feel a significant effect from them on my first ride, even in 100 degree temps. And the top vent is soooo much easier to operate now.

I only bought this new helmet because I had worn the old one so long that the liner was completely collapsed, allowing the helmet to move around and create hot spots and itches. After seeing how nice the N103 is, I wish I had bought it sooner!

Goose

Oh, one more thing - Sierra Electronics had the best price on BOTH the helmet and the headset, didn't charge anything extra to mount the headset before shipping, and has always provided me with great service. They shipped this helmet the same day (and I didn't even place the order until 3:00 pm!). http://www.sierra-mc.com/nolan.asp

Edited by V7Goose

I am partial to flip front helmets, and I have been using Nolan helmets for a number of years and 100,000 miles, first the N100E, then the N102. I just recently purchased an N103, and if you have either the N100 or N102, you REALLY need to try the N103, it is a great improvement! Combined with the J&M 584 or 629 headset, this thing is fantastic.

I really liked my N102 with the integrated headset and extra sun shade that flipped down over the normal shield, but the N103 is WAY more comfortable, and the new internal sun shade is fantastically better than the old external one. I didn't use the dark flip-down sun shade on the N102 very much because the dark top half and light bottom half of the sight pattern was very distracting. With the new internal sun shade on the N103, it works much more like a military flight helmet with a sun shade that covers your eyes like a pair of sunglasses. This give you the darker shield when you want it, and without the distracting dark/light split. And with the choice of also wearing regular sunglasses at the same time, you can easily select four or five different levels of darkness to match whatever conditions you are in without having to stop and change the face shield on the helmet - very flexible and convenient. And if you do want to change the main shield for any reason, it is now one of the easiest ones to change that I have ever used - another great improvement.

Nolan was the first company to offer a helmet with an integrated headset capability and the extra dark sun shade, but now lots of others have copied them. Nolan sells their own n-com headset and bluetooth system, but I have never tried them. I buy the J&M unit that is made specifically to fit just like the n-com does. I thought it was nice in the N102, but the updated system in the N103 is way better still. The mounting of the speakers is really slick recessed into the inner liner and behind the screen in the ear piece.

Finally, I am very pleased to note that the vents on the N103 work much better than they did on either the N100 or N102. They look pretty much the same in location and size, but I could feel a significant effect from them on my first ride, even in 100 degree temps. And the top vent is soooo much easier to operate now.

I only bought this new helmet because I had worn the old one so long that the liner was completely collapsed, allowing the helmet to move around and create hot spots and itches. After seeing how nice the N103 is, I wish I had bought it sooner!

Goose

Oh, one more thing - Sierra Electronics had the best price on BOTH the helmet and the headset, didn't charge anything extra to mount the headset before shipping, and has always provided me with great service. They shipped this helmet the same day (and I didn't even place the order until 3:00 pm!). http://www.sierra-mc.com/nolan.asp

:thumbsup2: on the Nolans. Goose, I have the older N100E in xxl, and after buying, and trying on, a 1002 xxl lite off Ebay I almost died of brain squeeze. I called NolanUSA and they did say the newer models were not as roomy. The 1002 Lite was rediculous. How did you find the N103 as compared to your original 100E?? I'm a little gun shy about gettting one of the newer ones...... They also mentioned something about a newer model, a C90??

:thumbsup2: on the Nolans. Goose, I have the older N100E in xxl, and after buying, and trying on, a 1002 xxl lite off Ebay I almost died of brain squeeze. I called NolanUSA and they did say the newer models were not as roomy. The 1002 Lite was rediculous. How did you find the N103 as compared to your original 100E?? I'm a little gun shy about gettting one of the newer ones...... They also mentioned something about a newer model, a C90??

Not sure how much I can help, but I'll tell you what I know and what I did. I know nothing about the 1002 lite or the new N90. I looked at and tried the fit on the N103 and N90 at a local shop. I really cannot find details on the difference between the N103 and N90, but I got the impression that the N90 was a "cheaper" model than the N103 - probably a strong power of suggestion because it is priced significantly less!).

I used the Nolan size chart, and my head measurement at 24" falls right between a L and XL (most charts say 24" is XL, but I usually wear a 7 3/8" hat, which is an L). My N100E is a Large, and it feels pretty similar to the N103 in XL except the older one is tighter on the upper forehead. My N102 is an XL, and it was never completely comfortable - I had to actually relieve some of the styrene shell in the upper forehead area to wear it.

When I tried the N103 at the shop, surprisingly both the XL and XXL felt pretty similar to me; I guess that is because the liner is very thick and plush. I bought the XL, and it seems to fit perfectly - absolutely no pressure on the forehead like I had with both the N100E and N102, and after wearing it most of the day yesterday in very hot temperatures, it was just as comfortable at the end of the day as the beginning.

I HAVE noticed that the chin bar is a bit closer on the N103. It is not a lot closer than the N100E, but I can feel the difference when I jut my chin out - enough so that the mike is always touching my lower lip and the bar just barely clears my chin. Neither of these is a problem for me since I use my mike without a windsock and always keep it against my lip anyway, but it is something to be aware of, and one of the reasons I strongly suggest finding one to try in a shop before ordering on-line! I have seen some internet discussions that say the N90 has significantly more chin room if that is an issue for you.

Goose

Not sure how much I can help, but I'll tell you what I know and what I did. I know nothing about the 1002 lite or the new N90. Goose

Thanks for the feedback. Every bit of info helps, and it looks like a trip to the dealer to try both the 103 and the C90 is in order.

I had the N 103 but it was way to tight on me and it seemed to be for a more round head. I liked the looks but the XXL WAS WAYYYY TO SMALL FOR ME. I wish I could find a full face flip to fit my big head and a quiet one. Wearing a 3/4 Shoei now and like it but still want more protection. The 584 and 629 J&M Elites are fantastic units.

On the Nolans, I just purchased the N43 with a J&M 279 head set. Boy am I ever disappointed. I would not recommend this to helmet to anyone.

First off it is way to tight on my checks and I ordered a XL. I tried one on at the Bike show and it fit fine. However I figured maybe 5000 people tried it on and stretched it.

Secondly I have never had a helmet so noisy, my old HJC is 10 times as quite as the Nolan. I figured that if I flip down the visor it should get quiter, WRONG it gets even noisier.

As far as the head sets go they have very poor quality in my opinion.

When I flip down the visor and try to look at the GPS everything gets blurry.

This is the first time I have spent a lot of money on a helmet. By the time I got this helmet shipped to Canada I had close over $400 dollars invested.

Now to be fair I have a medium Clearveiw sheild which I have chopped down another 2"

which might allow more air to pass over the helmet.

But my HJC has caused me no problems.