IGNORED

SOB the Venture is...Speakers

Son of a Bike the Venture is... DANG.!!

I did the Polk401B replacement today. DANG.

I ain't that much trouble with a screw since I was 18 years old.

The replacement is simple technically, but DANG, getting to those nuts is tough (again, I ain't heard that since I was 18).

The LEFT SIDE (clutch side) was the worst!!! It took me a total of about 5 hours (this includes numerous breaks - temps here around 98 degrees).

I also installed baffles behind the speakers...and that was easy enough to do, but you're doing some stuffing.

At first I hooked up (installed) one of the Polks and compared the sound...takes a LOT more volume for the same sound on the Polks. At first I even considered leaving the Clarions (stock) on the bike...but when I put the baffles in...the sound changed and the speakers sounded pretty dang good, so I changed the other side out.

The RIGHT SIDE took HALF the time to install that the left side did...

More of a review after I have used these speakers for awhile.

Wally

Now you can share the specifics of your agrevation and how you over came them.

I figured I would learn from your "misfortunes".

Glad you got them in and they are working.

So how did you end up attaching the baffles? OH Ya pictures are good.

Steve

Bubber :missingtooth:

PS: just waiting till five so I can go to the lake.

Guest scarylarry

I installed the polks and was not over impress with them..

As far as the installation it is a pain and I wouldn't do it again for them, I did not installed the baffles and I would go back in there for it either...

Bubber...I did take a few pics...but they are pretty much the same as everyone else has posted...I did take a picture of the baffles after I installed them.

When uninstalling the old speakers...don't forget the little PHILLIPS SCREW on the inside of the fairing (but towards the outside of each speaker.

The BIGGEST tip I found (after working on the LEFT speaker for over an hour) was how to get the bottom right hand screw to get started...the other screws started fine.

But that bottom screw is a PAIN. OK, the trick I learned is to take a phillips screw driver and push it through the bottom right screw hole FROM THE BACK. Then place the screw over the tip of the Phillips head and slowly pull the screwdriver out while pushing the bottom (and the other screws simultaneously) into the all the holes.

I did end up putting female connectors on one side and spade (male) connectors on the other end of a 3" piece of wire for each connection. I taped each set together just to make it look better.

The baffles was basically STUFFING the baffles on the inside and then forcing the screws through pre-made holes (I did this earlier). The two INSIDE nuts have washers, but I put washers on ALL of the screws. On the outside lip of the baffles I used double sided tape to make a "seal". I come back with some duck tape just to reinforce holding the baffle down.

Earlier I had poked a hole on the outside side of the baffle for speaker connectors to pass through and then used dielectric grease on all connections.

Wally

(pictures to follow).

Not knocking the new speakers, but I would "guess" that the baffles have more of an impact on sound quality and perceived volume than the speakers themselves.

Nice write up, but Bubber doesn't really need it as his speakers were shipped on 6/31/11 and since there is no 6/31/11 his speakers, like "Free Beer Tomorrow" probably won't get to him.:whistling:

OK...since there are several REMOVE/INSTALL speaker threads with pictures...I am only submitting these.

These are how the baffles look when installed.

I have to split my fairing to do some other work. Where do you get the baffles?

They said I have to wait till the next 6/31 for free shipping. :doh:

I got them before I left for the lake but I didn't get a chance to work on them so that is what I will be doing when I get home.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to get'r done this week and report back.

Edited by Bubber

So I came home from work tonight and went straight to installing the Polk speakers in the Midnight. Got the fairing off and the windshield and the stay off so I could get to the speakers.

I read the postings pretty good and and went to taking the speakers out and installing the Polks. Finished in 2 1/2 hours including cleaning up. I ran into no problems with screws or putting the nuts back on the hidden bolts.

Fired it up and it works so tomorrow I'll ride it to work and blast it to see how the quality is a speed.

Glad I read everybody post, mine went smooth as silk. Thanks!

:banana::banana::banana:

Cool...Bubber, you smashed my record of 5 hours of sweating. My only excuse is that I was out in 100 degree weather!!

I noticed that my volume went from about 21 to about 26 now to get the same sound.

Wally

I don't know if they are stock, but I have Pioneer's in the front. They were already in the bike when I bought it. They sound good to me, but then again I don't have a comparison.

I am going to have to put new ones in the rear though because I think they are blown.

I can tell you that I rode in today and I had the radio on at the same volume that I normally have it on 15-17 or there abouts. The radio I could actully hear it and make out every word. We got a winner here folks. I am happy with the upgrade and if the Clarions were heavy enough they would be a boat anchor. :yikes:

I am please with the switch and now I can really annoy my neighbors......just kidding. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

All I can say is that they worked for me. I was skeptical from the other post that I read, but It seemed to me that more people were happy with the Polks than not, so there you go! :2cents:

Now to get the trailer done in the next week.

I can smell that steak cooking now :fatsmiley: and you know who you are. :whistling: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

...I am please with the switch and now I can really annoy my neighbors......just kidding. :rotf::rotf::rotf: :stirthepot:Why is it that I have no trouble picturing you annoying the neighbors?:whistling::stirthepot:

Now to get the trailer done in the next week.:backinmyday::mytruck::backinmyday::stirthepot:

I can smell that steak cooking now :fatsmiley: and you know who you are. :whistling: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: We just got another 1/2 a beef last week so we have some really nice fresh steaks. And if ya don't hurry up we might eat all of them before ya get here!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

:cool10::cool10::cool10:

• 8 months later...