IGNORED

Changing front springs, seals too?

I ordered the progressive front fork springs, am I supposed to change the seals at the same time? Changing the seals looks a lot more involved than I'd be able to do.

How do you know when they need replaced?

Thx!

I'll be swapping out my seals and springs to progressives on the front of my '86 this weekend in Bogalusa LA. I'll try to get some pics of it, but I know there is a write up in the 1st gen tech library on swapping to progressive front springs. If your seals aren't leaking you dont need to change them.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=496

stilll havent found anything on replaceing the rear but hears whats in the 1st gen tech section of tis website on replaceing the fork seals

David

Yeah the step by step is awesome! Just didn't know if I needed to replace seals too. Mine will hold air for maybe 3 days, but I don't have any oil leaks that I can tell. Just bottoming out real bad when low on air.

You guys are great, and I thank you for your time!

Here are some pictures of the rear shock assy on an 83 bike. The shock setup is from an 88 donor bike. You wouldn't need to remove the swing arm to replace shock.

Another picture of some grease zerts that were installed. There are 6 total on swing arm now. There is a write up in tech section on doing this. I didn't follow it exactly though.

Gary

Edited by dingy
Edited part about removing tank, I was wrong again

Don't remember removing tank or sub-frame to get shock off.:think:

Can you get the top bolt out without removing tank?

I haven't tried it with tank on, you may be able to reach in there though. Had the bike stripped all the way down when I replaced it and thought it had to come off.

As I look at the second picture I posted, you are right. The tank would set on the two rubber pads just above the shock top.

My bad.

I edited my previous post, I hope he isn't out in garage pulling sub frame out right now !!

Gary