IGNORED

Lake Placid Trip Ideas

The Hawk

I am planning a trip from Ontario to Lake Placid, New York for July 14-17th.

Can anyone suggest any scenic/twisty routes while there or things to do and see. As well looking for recommendations on hotels to stay at in the area. Thanks for your thoughts.

The closer you get to Lake Placid the higher the motel/hotel prices. There are several good places to stay in Plattsburgh just off the interstate. The road from Plattsburgh (Route 9 to 9N through Keeseville to Jay is an excellent ride. Lots of curves, turns, and great scenery. The distance from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid is about 50 miles and the Plattsburgh area is full of history.

Two roads that are a must are Tracy road and Lincoln pond road. Both these roads have very little traffic especially Tracy road. Also the Blue ridge road and then take 28n over to 28 to rt 8 east. I ride these roads all the time and if I was going to be here I would give you a tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the feedback.

You are not kidding on the hotel prices.

We are coming up (north) from Utica and wondered about Moose River Road, othewise knows as Northwood Lake Placid Trail.

Anyone know if this is a safe and route/detour to take on the way to Lake Placid?

• 3 weeks later...

Well just thought I would post some feedback.

We had an awsome time to Lake Placid.

There is not a bad road in that area, everyone has scenary and is pretty.

Went to Rome N.Y via I90 and then into the hills via Moose lake Road to 28 and then to Lake Placid.

28 is the best and although somewhat busy on the weekend, every turn is something pretty to see.

Stayed at Lake Placid Summitt Hotel, and contrary to the Tripadvisor comments it was a great stay. Renovations are almost done and they treated us well. Good discount for the group as they are trying to get their reputation back. $99/night. downtown and close to everything.

White Face Mountain was the highlight and worth the money to drive up the moutain.

Took Hunter 1500's advise and took the back roads from the base of the mountain back to Ontario. Wish we had more time to go ove to the Hudson River basin but definitely we will go back great destination.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

We just missed you. We spent the 15 & 16 in Niagara Falls ONT then the 17th in Watertown NY. On the 18th we road thru the Adirondacks including LK Placid across the ferry to Burlington VT. On the 19th we went south on 116 across 125 then south on 100 to 9 and across to 91 south. Ended up in Milford MA. The 20th we rode into Cape Cod & back out into RI. The 21st stayed in Hazelton PA. 22nd in Franklin PA visited my daughter and grandchildren. Was chop blocked by my 4 year old grandson and injured my knee. A little sore for the ride home on the 23rd and difficult getting on and off the bike but was a great trip. Of couse it would have been more enjoyable if the temps were in the low 80's instead of the high 90's. Going thru Scranton PA @ 70mph the air temp on the wing read 101deg, that was hot.

Jim

Well sounds like we just missed you Jer, we meant several groups doing a similar route to yours but none had wings. We must go back again, so much more to see and do.

Ditto on the heat at 101F, brutal, even our white helmets seemed like ovens!

Maybe catch you next time.:canada: