IGNORED

Engine Compression and Performance

Maybe it's just me, but my RSV runs sooooo much better after it's been cranked up to 70 - 80 mph for a little while. I ran the 230 miles up and back to Chattanooga today, and this bike just loves the high speeds on the interstate, and just felt like it had so much smooth power at the top end of 5th gear. I was already cruising at 75 when I needed to do a fast pass of an 18-wheeler, and when I hit the throttle, man it just flew in response. I really don't like interstate travel and don't do it much, so this feeling of power and acceleration isn't something I get to experience a lot.

Is what I'm feeling at that speed related to ideal engine compression? I wish it performed that way at all speeds in all gears. What a rush!

It sounds like youre not revving it enough in the other gears. I would suggest you get a tach, and then remember that your power band on these machines is above 3500. You should probably never be outta 2nd gear around town if you want to accelerate at all. Let it "bump" up against the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd gear and it will shock you how fast these machines are compared to to the vtwins.

BTW 75mph isnt even the high end of 4th gear -both 4th and 5th on your bike are overdrives so you are capable of speed way in excess of 110mph but its whether you want to go there is another question.....

Brian

:sign yeah that:

Yep, that's the ticket!!

A lot of times I when I'm on the ramp getting onto the Interstate I'm still in 2nd gear and then as I blend into traffic I'll pop into 3rd. Speed limit through the city is 60 mph and once I find my pocket I'll slip into 4th and "idle" along with the traffic. (which is usually doing 65 to 70)

I've got into the habit of not going to 5th until I'm over 70 to 75 mph. Keeps the revs up and have the power and response when I need it.

Around town it's only a 3 speed bike.

R's is goooood!

Mike

Maybe it's just me, but my RSV runs sooooo much better after it's been cranked up to 70 - 80 mph for a little while. I ran the 230 miles up and back to Chattanooga today, and this bike just loves the high speeds on the interstate, and just felt like it had so much smooth power at the top end of 5th gear. I was already cruising at 75 when I needed to do a fast pass of an 18-wheeler, and when I hit the throttle, man it just flew in response. I really don't like interstate travel and don't do it much, so this feeling of power and acceleration isn't something I get to experience a lot.

Is what I'm feeling at that speed related to ideal engine compression? I wish it performed that way at all speeds in all gears. What a rush!

As others have already said, our RSV's like higher RPM's. These engines have rev-limiters so don't be afraid to run the RPM's up; you're not going to hurt anything and these engines really come alive at higher RPM's!:backinmyday:

The only downside to running 80mph is fuel economy. The mpg on our bike drops to 32-30mpg when I set the cruise control on 80mph, (actual).

Actually I do top my RPM's out in each gear as a rule, but when cruising on open country roads at 45 - 50, I do find myself popping it into a lazy 4th gear just to lower the "volume". But when I need the "gas", this bike definitely has it!

Many of my miles are commuting and easy riding with my better half. Spent about 200 miles of 80-90 mph solo interstate over the last few days. Idle has smoothed out noticeably. These motors LIKE having the coal poured into them!

Many of my miles are commuting and easy riding with my better half. Spent about 200 miles of 80-90 mph solo interstate over the last few days. Idle has smoothed out noticeably. These motors LIKE having the coal poured into them!

Just for grins and giggles, try throwing 1/2 a can of Seafoam in the next two tanks of gas...:cool10:

Just for grins and giggles, try throwing 1/2 a can of Seafoam in the next two tanks of gas...:cool10:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I must be slipping Wes. A regular diet of of Sea-Foam will save a lot of trouble with these things. I buy it by the gallon to save money on it.

The wife and I are heading out tomorrow for a nice ride to the Greenbrier up in W. VA. for 5 days of meetings and R&R. Think I'll Seafoam both bikes before we leave!

Praying for no storms en route...... :fingers-crossed-emo