IGNORED

Another "Relocating the TCI"....sorry

Just got done relocating the TCI to the top of the airbox and while I was at it found the boost sensor to be bad and replaced it. Thanks to a popular member here, I was able to do so fairly quickly. Anyhow, now that the TCI is on top of the airbox, I am concerned with it getting hot due to the lack of cooling airflow around it. In its original location, while moving forward at any speed, air flow I think flowed around the TCI providing a cooling effect. Even though that air had passed through the radiator, I am pretty sure it was a lot cooler than the air that will now surround it being on top of the airbox. If this is correct, what would be the effect? Could that hotter air lessen the longevity of the TCI? Or am just one of those Mr. Fulla Schitt that I was reading about a few minutes ago?

I suspect the airflow on top of the airbox/under the top cover is significantly cooler than the blast furnace right under the battery box. Only way to know for sure is to take some readings though.

I would also bet that it is a lot cooler on top of the airbox. Keep in mind that you are being fed air that is mostly coming up from the tripple tree/battery area and under the cover. You will get a little from around the airbox, but mostly fresh air.

I have a standard and have a CD mounted at 30 degrees tilted away from the wall at the bottom. This gives me better access to changing CD's and keeps it from being verticle. It also gave me plenty of room to mount the TCI on the wall inside the left fairing. I did put a little cover on it because I don't have any ductwork pulling air from the front of the bike to the lowers, as I don't run lowers. I also have small running lights mounted in my front vents and that probably restricts the air a little. So far, my setup seems to be working good for me and I bet mine is even cooler than on top of the airbox. I also don't have the stuff in the way if I want to take my airbox cover off.

RandyA

Gunny,

I have relocated several TCI's with no heat related issues. I also believe that you would have had a lot more heat in the stock area, there is more between the heat source and the TCI now to reduce the heat that will make it to it. I have put several thousand miles on various 1st gens with relocated TCI's and never had any issues :2cents: