IGNORED

New clutch cause this???

At Don's MD I was going to install Skydoc's upgrade kit, which as you may know, includes new clutch springs and a full friction plate to replace the factory 1/2 plate.

Earl was talking me thru the job so I know it is done right.

He suggested that my clutch plates were very near the end of their life so I replaced all of the friction plates, but kept the steel plates as they were not burnt or scored.

I have since noticed that there is a loud noise that wasn't there before.

It is much like a low pitched wind howl. It is loud enough that it is bothersome.

It is at its worse when I am just poking along in 3rd or 4th around 3000 rpm but is still noticable at 4000 and above. It doesn't seem anywhere as loud in 1st or 2nd, even at those rpms.

I know these bikes like the higher revs, but with rev's come more noise and sometimes just humming along feels like the right thing to do in towns etc.

Now just before I changed the clutch I also changed the oil to Shell Rotella 15/40, which makes it harder to determine which is the cause...the new clutch or the new oil???

Any ideas??

Hmmmm, good question Steve, and unfortunately you have entered two variables, the new clutch and the new oil at the same time! There has been a couple of members that had strange problems with the Shell oil, but others have had no problems and swear by it! I pretty much exclusively use Delo myself.

I guess the only thing you can do is let the clutch wear in for a few thousand miles and see if it goes away, and if not tear it apart and inspect for strange wear...

Probably a dumb question, since Earl was helping you but... did you soak those friction discs in oil before you installed them?

As bongo says, let it wear in for a while and see how it goes. I don't think the oil is causing the noise.

noise is not noticable in neutral...nor when I pull in the clutch and coast at any speed

How 'bout when you're not riding? There's always a slight difference in the gear train 'noise' when the clutch is engaged, or not, at idle. But also wonder if your getting the noise at higher RPM's on the sidestand with clutch in or out...?? All this does is seperate areas in the clutch-engine-drive train. Helps isolate the source a little better.