IGNORED

2006 RSV Radio Head Failure

Robb

Proud owner of a 2006 RSV... completely screwed up and left key in "aux" mode... came back to find a flat battery... recharge was successful, however, my radio module is now not working at all. I have taken off the tupperware and checked and replaced the blade-type fuse, no help.

REALLY like the audio on my RSV... and its out of warranty now...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robb,

It seems unlikely that what you did would have damaged the stereo. Are you sure that you are checking the correct fuse? There is one inside the lower right cowling. You have to remove the cowling to get to that fuse box.

Yep, found that radio fuse sucker... never thought I'd have to take off the cowling, and I replaced it as well.

No power to the radio at all - no CB or radio... it's completely dark!

Is this one of the symptoms of a ign switch goin bad ? Seems like I remember somebody having one act like this before and it turned out to be the Ignition Switch.
There is no circuit in the ignition switch that would only affect the radio. A good check would be power to either of the two aux power jacks - if they are hot when the radio is not working, then it cannot be the ignition switch.

Goose

Ok, Ponch stopped by my work, unrolled his tools and found the problem - it was the "BACKUP" fuse... who'da figured that???

Replaced, and POOF, everything works!

PONCH ROCKS!

Thanks to everyone for a GREAT site... VentureRider is a great group... everyone is very helpful!!:cool10:

PONCH: THANKS!:bighug:

http://comments16.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/0wel9809.gif

Now Don, that's not nice at all . . . Some people just don't want to hear it from me, so pointing it out is kinda like forcing them to swallow their cod liver oil! Besides, Ponch is WAY nicer than me.

Goose

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/dogs/676_make-it-stop.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Good Day All,

I am new on hear and have heard Great things about this ORG. I drive an 06 RSV and love it.

Howevar I am having a problem this the radio. It works but every so often I can not change stations or mode and the control unit just doesn't respond.

Has anyone had the same issue?? If so, can u help me.

You have a bad connection on the controller head in the fairing. Take the front fairing off and you'll see a bundle of large connectors. About the size of the old AT keyboard connectors. Take the one with the blue band apart several times and then apply some di-electric grease. That should fix it. Might as well do it to all of them while your at it. That's a reusable wire tie you see so don't cut it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12569&d=1191184352

• 1 month later...
I have a 2008, would this connector also effect my trip meter and clock ?

No, that is just for the radio control head. If you are having problems with losing trip meter and clock settings, check the "backup fuse" in the main fuse box.

Goose

Good Day All,

I am new on hear and have heard Great things about this ORG. I drive an 06 RSV and love it.

Howevar I am having a problem this the radio. It works but every so often I can not change stations or mode and the control unit just doesn't respond.

Has anyone had the same issue?? If so, can u help me.

Make sure that your CB is off when you are having this problem. There is a bug in the radio design that I have documented in detail in some older threads that causes similar problems sometimes after the bike is started with BOTH the radio and CB turned on.

But since few people have their CB on very much, most of the time this problem is the connector, as described above.

Goose