IGNORED

Insurance Coverage?

Hulign

Ok so while making the list of stuff we are taking on this ride I see the $$$ of the electronics we will have on board. The Zumo 550 I just bought,netbook,ipad,2 high end cell phones and ipod is almost 2800.00 in "stuff". Yes I am a geek and I consider these things NEEDED.

So I called to check our coverage to see if I needed to change anything and was informed that everything but the GPS would be on my renters policy and the gps would go on the bike policy. So 1000.00 in deductibles!?!?! Remind me again why we even bother to carry insurance? I wonder if this is just State Farm or is every company like that?

Maybe it's time to change companies?

Thoughts?

Frank

It's always a wise move to shop around for insurance. But you can rest assured that whichever one you settle on, someone is going to have a horror story about how bad they were treated by the company you choose. I had my bikes covered by USAA for 20+ years without any complaints. They stopped providing MC coverage, and I have now been with GEICO for 3 years. I feel that their rates are reasonable and the coverage is what I want/need. Again, no complaints with GEICO. But, 75% of my works comes from the insurance industry. So, I understand the rules that they play by and cover myself accordingly.

This comes up frequently. Someone will be on vacation and have personal items stolen from their auto and call to file a claim on their auto insurance but most items are covered under your homeowner. I would think the GPS would be covered on your renters policy also. State Farm must have a quirk in their homeowner policy that doesn't cover a GPS. Every company can be different. Check with other companies to find out.

I don't mind paying a deductible and I dont feel the rates are bad. They have always done right by me for claims I was just a little shocked when she said it might split the claim.

For now we will leave it as is. Might do some shopping next month though

Frank

This is probably as good a time as any to bring up underinsured coverage. Ask your agent. Most policies only carry uninsured motorist coverage, but if the other at fault driver is insured, and the accident takes his policy to max, your company isn't obligated to make up the difference. If the driver is basically not worth anything the possibility of getting any more by suing is pretty moot, and it's going to come out of your pocket.

Another area to check is towing a trailer. It didn't cost any more to get the coverage, but when I checked Geico it wouldn't have been covered. Once they got the make, model, and license number entered it was.

Just a couple of heads up's.

:cody

Thanks for the extra reminder. Nebraska actually requires under/uninsured insurance and I carry 2x the required. SUVs are expensive!

We also checked the trailer coverage when we towed it home from CO.

Its funny to see myself older and responsible haha

Frank