IGNORED

Where is the best place to mount a thermometer?

Dave77459

I've found discussions here about WHAT thermometer to buy. This is different: I'd like to know WHERE to mount it. The what can follow then.

My question stems from my buddy and his farkled BMW. It has a pitot tube that samples air as the bike moves. The thermometer is untrustworthy until the bike is moving. The reason being, says he, that an exposed thermometer is influenced by sunlight warming and engine temperature warming.

So, where should I put a thermometer?

I have an RSTD, and thus I don't have a fairing to hide it in. On the other hand, that gives me a nice, quasi-hidden spot atop the forks but below the speed-o. It is shaded there, sometimes.

So, two questions, really. Maybe three...

A) Where is the ideal place to sample air from?

B) Where is the best, reasonable place for a thermometer on an RSTD?

3) Where is the best, reasonable place for a thermometer on an RSV?

I guess the final question should be answered first: does it really matter?

Dave

So the question would be are you interested in the ambient temperature in the air OR are you interested in the temperature YOU are experiencing in the cockpit?

I have mine (clocks4bikes.com) on the LEFT switch housing. Yes, when sitting still (and moving), the temperature is effected by sunlight, but I feel it also gives me my COCKPIT temperature and that is more important to me since I have TEMPERATURE on my GPS.

That's just me.

So the question would be are you interested in the ambient temperature in the air OR are you interested in the temperature YOU are experiencing in the cockpit?

I have mine (clocks4bikes.com) on the LEFT switch housing. Yes, when sitting still (and moving), the temperature is effected by sunlight, but I feel it also gives me my COCKPIT temperature and that is more important to me since I have TEMPERATURE on my GPS.

That's just me.

If that's the case, why not put it on the gas cap?

I know where you can mount it if you want it to read 98.6. He he

Ha! I run around 96 anyways. :)

Dave

I put mine under the front fairing between the forks.

You can't see it unless you bend over and look for it. Come to think of it, the same would apply for post #3. :missingtooth:

Is where I have my battery monitor now? Below my speed-o?

Dave

I use the ShowChrome 5-Function digital meter which mounts perfectly between the two handlebar riser caps (actually on top of them with velcro). It has both an internal and external thermometer; the sensor for the internal temp is wherever the meter is mounted, and the external sensor is on a long wire. I have it glued with a spot of hot-melt to the bottom of the brake line T right next to the right front fork - always out of the sun and in full draft of the air when moving.

Goose

If that's the case, why not put it on the gas cap?

Ha! I run around 96 anyways. :)

Dave

So you already know were to stick it. :thumbsup2:

actually as mentioned it would depend on what temp you want to read

1. ambient, any were that shades it from the open sun and placed behind anything that gaurds from direct airstream flow while riding

2. windshield or windstream, out of the sun but directly in the airstream while riding.

3. cockpit. that one is somewhat obvious

Truckers use one called ice alert it gives both inside and outside temp. There is a sensor in the main body which gives the temp of the air around the unit itself, and then there is a second sensor on a wire lead that you mount anywhere out of direct sunlight and direct airflow to measure ambient temp. It is availble at any truck stop.