IGNORED

tunning firestick antenna ?

Norm

I installed a firestick antenna. To tune it I disconnected the cable from the antenna that goes to the radio and hooked it to the SWR meter so I have the cable running from the radio to the SWR meter. I then took the jumper cable that came with the SWR meter and hooked it to the SWR meter ANT connection and then to the antenna. Following the SWR meter instructions I then set the switch on the SWR meter to FWD. I then pushed the PTT button on the bike . The directions say to adjust the meter until it hits the set on the fare right of the meter. When I turn the knob all the way to adjust the needle it doesn't even move up to the 1.5 mark. A long ways from the SET mark. What am I doing wrong or does my CB not work. Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks Norm

Three possibilities...

1. The meter is connected backwards. Easy check is to place switch in swr position and see if it goes higher than in the set position.

2. Meter is not designed for 27mhz (CB) frequencies.

3. Open coax to antenna or bad antenna. Most radios have a safety circuit that will not allow transmitting into a bad/no antenna and will drop the power very low to prevent damaging the transmitter.

:think:

One other thought...

I have seen these antennas installed incorrectly. There is an insulating washer that is supposed to be above the chrome mount so the center conductor of the coax is isolated from the ground. If you install it below the chrome mount, the center conductor is grounded and can also cause your problem. You can disconnect the coax from the meter and using an ohm meter, check for a short between the center conductor to ground. do this with the antenna unscrewed from the mount.

Guest tx2sturgis

Fourth possibility:

Your CB is not putting out the full (4 watt) power, and only able to drive the meter movement partially over to the calibrate position. Double check this by using a known good wattmeter. If the power output finals are blown, the SWR meter wont move much (if at all) in calibrate position.

Fifth possibility:

The feedline from the CB to the meter is shorted or open, or moisture contaminated, causing corrosion. Test continuity with a DMM. Shield to shield, and center to center, should both read zero, or nearly zero, ohms. Center to shield, with both ends disconnected, should show infinite..(no continuity) If the coax is many years old, it could be contaminated with moisture, and the copper braid and/or the center conductor may be corroded. This will cause a loss of power transmitted thru the feedline. To verify, hook up a known good 6 or 9 foot length of feedline from the CB to the SWR meter.

Sixth possibility:

The meter is bad. Is it new? test it on another known good CB and antenna combination.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I installed a firestick antenna. To tune it I disconnected the cable from the antenna that goes to the radio and hooked it to the SWR meter so I have the cable running from the radio to the SWR meter. I then took the jumper cable that came with the SWR meter and hooked it to the SWR meter ANT connection and then to the antenna. Following the SWR meter instructions I then set the switch on the SWR meter to FWD. I then pushed the PTT button on the bike . The directions say to adjust the meter until it hits the set on the fare right of the meter. When I turn the knob all the way to adjust the needle it doesn't even move up to the 1.5 mark. A long ways from the SET mark. What am I doing wrong or does my CB not work. Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks Norm

To start with Your hookup is wrong

1. Disconnect the antenna cable, from the radio
  2. Connect the antenna cable, to the connector marked antenna, on the SWR meter
  3. Take the jumber, connect one end to the radio
  4. Connect the other end of the jumper, to the connector on the SWR meter, marked radio
  5. Now try adjusting your antenna

The way you had it hooked up the SWR meter treats your jumper as though it is the Antenna Cable which of course would be too short and give a false SWR reading

Before you hook up the meter, I would advise you check your antenna mounting, as previously mentioned. While the antenna cable is disconnected use an ohmeter, to make sure the antenna is not grounded. Touch one probe to ground, and the other to the metal base, of the antenna itself. you should have no reading at all . If you do, you either put the plastic washer in the wrong location or you are not properly centered in the hole and the center part of the stem may be touch the sides of the hole.

Edited by saddlebum