IGNORED

fork rebuilding on my 83 Venture Royale

I am rebuilding a set of forks on my 83 Venture.I have a damaged fork tube(scratched).I bought a set off Ebay but the caliper mounts are different.My question is,can I use the tubes off the newer forks and the bottoms off the old forks?They look very simmilar.I am also planning on using all the parts from the new forks.When I took the tubes out I broke a piece off the washer on the inside of the one tube.It is the one that doesnt come out.90 percent of the washer is still there.Can I still use it?

As far as the tubes go, the outer diameter between the 83-85 (MKI) inner tubes and the 86-93 (MKII) inner tubes is the same.

The bottom of the tubes is interchangeable, where the bolt goes up into tube.

What I am not sure about is the length. But even if there is a slight (1/4" or less) difference between the MKI & MKII, as long as you use a matched pair that should not make a significant difference. They are probably the same.

Not sure what you are talking about with the broke washer. A picture might help here.

As long as you haven't broke the outer tube casting, I may have an extra part (washer) laying around I will give you.

Gary

I would have to assume you are talking about one of the six washers on the damper assemblies.

So....yes, you would need to remove the broken section and replace it with new. There are two wave washers and a flat that go between them on each side.

If the caliper mounts have a different spacing, you actually have a set of forks from a MK2, which is kind of a good thing because now you can have better brakes. You also will have Electronic Anti-Dive, not the hydraulic version, which is also a Good thing as far as the brakes go, but require you to add a relay triggered by the brake light circuit. There are 2 versions of MK2 forks, the early ones very similar to the MK1, and the later version with a set of smal springs as well as the large springs...