IGNORED

Vent the filler neck ?

Pilot

OK just because I'm a bit thick at times and this is one of those times, just what is happening with the tank when you vent the filler neck :confused24: ? A cross section of the tank just might explain this to me but I can't find one. I like pictures....

Curious minds want to know..........:think:

That tube goes in there so that the fuel level won't fill up any higher inside the tank than the bottom of that tube. The air bubble left at the top of the tank gives room for the fuel to expand, particularly if the bike is left in the sun. Venting that tube will let out that air bubble and let the fuel level in the tank go higher than the bottom of that tube. You get more gas in the tank and more miles out of a tank of gas. You will have to be careful though, that you don't leave it in the sun when it's filled all the way up like that. The fuel will expand and dump out of the overflow hose onto the ground, wasted. But if you're going to immediately put at least 20 or so miles on the bike after filling up, that's not a problem.

Yes, the filler neck "tube". I don't have any pics for you though. I've never seen a tank apart. I don't mind removing parts for pics if someone needs to see something, but cutting a tank... Sorry. :) Venting the filler neck will let you get another 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of gas in the tank, or about another 20 to 30 miles or so farther down the road.

I punched about 6 holes with an awl this morning after filling it up as much as I could. After wards I was able to put another 1/2 gallon or so of gas in. This pratice may be a bit difficult with some gas stations as there pumps pressure is not easy to control. I should be able to get another 20 miles out of a tank.

I'll keep this brief 'cause I have discussed it in detail in the past - I have 1.5 gallons available and 60 mile range on reserve. I have not actually run out of gas, but I have taken it oh-so-close several times, and once put 5.9 gal in at the fill-up. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I'll keep this brief 'cause I have discussed it in detail in the past - I have 1.5 gallons available and 60 mile range on reserve. I have not actually run out of gas, but I have taken it oh-so-close several times, and once put 5.9 gal in at the fill-up. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

well that answers it goose. looks like its all usable. thanks