IGNORED

Leaking Barons V4 Water Pump Cover

I bought a new Barons V4 Water Pump Cover and replaced the stock cover, using a new o-ring, and it leaked when starting. I tightened it down more but still leaked. So I got another new o-ring and reinstalled again today, making sure I got it seated properly. After torquing per the book (7.2 ft/lb) and refilling radiator, it leaked again. I tightened the screws down a bit more (10 ft/lb) & it still weeps.

I've got 1 more o-ring left so am thinking of putting the stock piece back on again.

Just wondering if anyone else with this V4 cover had any leaks? And wondering how tight do I dare torque those bolts in? :confused24:

Also, what's the normal water temp if the bike's been sitting at idle for 5 minutes?

Obviously because I have not seen the cover, and am not able to measure the depth of the O'Ring groove, Right off the top of my head, I would say that the diameter of the O'Ring is too small, OR the depth of the O'Ring groove is too deep. If you tighten the bolts past spec, and water is coming out past the O'Ring then the O'ring is not being compressed against the water pump tightly enough. Much past 10 Ft. Lbs. is BAD because if you crack the new cover you're done, and if you wring off one of the cover bolts, you're done as well. I personally would return the cover and get another one. I am sure you paid a decent price for this part, make the company you purchased it from stand behind their product.:confused24:

Earl

I had one on my bike for about 2 years before it started leaking. I tried a new o rings but it still leaked, so I just took it off and put the stock one back on. If you haven't long, send it back and get your money back.

I put the stock piece back on today & no leaks, so I'll leave that on for now as I'm getting ready for a cycle vacation.

I found the problem though. The stock piece has a wider groove for the o-ring so it has a little bit of wiggle room for movement. On the Barons piece, the groove is sized exactly to the size of the o-ring so if it's not in there perfectly you can have problems. So even though it looked & felt good, when I started tightening the bolts, the o-ring wanted to move slightly to seat good but since there was absolutely no room for movement, the o-ring split. Both the o-rings I used on the Barons had splits in them.

Maybe I'll try again later this summer but for now I'll leave well enough alone! Thanks everyone...JR

You could try and lube the o-ring area with dishwashing soap, which will evaporate after a few minutes. This will give the o-ring some flexibility/slickness as you install the piece. Or you could also use some blue silicone gasket goo and lightly coat the o-ring and install it then.